12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2018 2:33 AM by phoffmann

Pxe representative configuration - HELP

Stefano_ Apprentice

Hello,

i'm new about Landesk Management Suite 2017 and i would like some help about the pxe configuration.

Before i worked with Sccm and the pxe was pretty easy for me. The question is:

i would like capture and then deploy win 10 image. Which are the instruction's, step by steps, for the pxe configurations?

Your help is really appreceted.

many many thanks

Stefano

• 2. Re: Pxe representative configuration - HELP
          Stefano_ Apprentice

Hi,

thanks for your answer. i have already read this document but, for me, is not clear the concept. What is the PXE rapresentative? i have thinked that the core server managed the pxe process. Our default agent ( already deployed to all client) not have the pxe service enabled.

What is the way for start a new client ( without the agent installed ) via PXE and allow it to contact the core server ( for example for capture the image ) ? It is enough that under Self-electing subnet service --> PXE i enable the subnet and allow the mac address of the client and then create a new task ( afater added mac address also to bare metal devices ) ?

sorry for all my questions and many thanks

Stefano

• 3. Re: Pxe representative configuration - HELP
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

I go over some of the comms-flow of the PXE process as part of this video here -- [Tech Brief On-Demand Webinar 2016] Provisioning with LANDESK Management Suite .

The PXE rep is a subnet-specific device that picks up the PXE-request in that subnet & essentially asks the Core "Hey, this guy is booting up. Does he have any Provisioning job to do? If so, I'll tell him to boot into WinPE".

There's also a few other bits to help with understanding the provisioning process in the video & the presentation PDF that should hopefully help you a little bit with making sense of things.

• 4. Re: Pxe representative configuration - HELP
              Stefano_ Apprentice

Hi phoffman,

thank you very much for your answer. Unfortunatelly i still don't understand how i should configure the core server for the pxe. I tell you my scenario:

• I have created my template for the OS Capture
              • I have added in Bare Metal Devices the mac address that i should capture
              • In Self electing subnet services-->Pxe,  i have enabled the subnet where the client is and in the Service Settings i have checked Allowed and i have added the mac address of the client that i want capture
              • I have created the scheduled task and i have restart the client from Pxe, but it go in timeout

What i miss?

Many many thanks

Stefano

• 5. Re: Pxe representative configuration - HELP

Ah OK - so you don't "configure the Core" as such for PXE - it's important that it's a client that does it (among other things, needs to be a device local to that subnet).

So basics to cover then:

• Have you actually enabled CSEP (Client Self Electing Protocol) specifically on agents in that subnet / the PXE sub-stuff in particular (you can have CSEP enabled, but PXE disabled, for instance).
                • (As an aside, PXE has been moved to CSEP so it's more resilient, as previously your "dedicated PXE system" could have something unfortunate happen to it & suddenly you're without PXE services in a network segment).
                • Here's a good starting point with how to troubleshoot PXE CSEP -- How to Troubleshoot Self-Electing PXE Services . The first thing you want to make sure is "do I actually *HAVE* a PXE rep elected on that subnet?". (Be sure to read the comments too!)

If that's the case, the rest is logical "one step at a time" troubleshooting (if need be - with support to help you out). This is where my diagramm of the PXE process may help you.

So your logical "break" points are:
                  • Do I actually have PXE on the network segment at all?
                  • Is the service running?
                  • Does the booting CLIENT reach the PXE system (Wireshark will be helpful here). Yes, we have logs, but "Wireshark doesn't lie", while log-files may be better or worse, depending on the minds that wrote them, as it were.
                  • Does the PXE-rep pick this up & shoot a query towards the Core (You CAN wireshark this, but IIS log / PXE-logs will be enough normally).
                  • If you get this far, the rest is a decision point of whether the Core thinks it does / doesn't have a job for the client.
                • Get this far first of all, and we'll go from there. In effect, you're going to work from the ground up to see what bit(s) do(-es) work & as soon as you can find your break-point (which can be down purely down to config), we can figure out how to help you.

Does that make more sense?

A lot of the provisioning stuff can break in a single step, and the whole thing doesn't appear to work. For instance, if your PXE rep can't resolve your Core because your DNS is wonky, "none of it appears to work" ... the net-cause tends to be very binary ("it doesn't appear to work") but there's a lot of little steps that can work, and a single individual one be at fault to block you.

Hope that helps a bit (and don't worry - takes a little while to get your head around everything. One thing you're not going to be short on with EPM is 'new technologies/things to learn') .

• 6. Re: Pxe representative configuration - HELP
                  Stefano_ Apprentice

ok, make more sense but, how elect a PXE rep?which is the procedure?

• 7. Re: Pxe representative configuration - HELP
                    karlehenry Apprentice

I just want to add a note here:

I recently had trouble myself and found that the local firewall on the PXE REP was blocking UDP Port 67 and there for causing a timeout.  Once I opened this up, everything worked like a charm.

• 8. Re: Pxe representative configuration - HELP

Ah OK - so THAT is described here -- About whats new in OS Provisioning in LANDESK 2016.3 .

In short, the process goes like this:

• You have a/several subnet(s).
                      • The clients that have CSEP enabled in this/those subnet(s) regularly check wheter "anyone is 'it' or not" ("the CSEP rep") on their network segment.
                        • If no one "is it", then all eligible clients hold an automated election (you don't need to do anything, the point is that it's automatic). Whoever gets chosen as "the new it" will install any enabled CSEP services (such as PXE for instance).
                        • If the clients notice that the CSEP stuff is still up in their network, life proceeds as normal.

This is basically how it works. Now ...

In terms of "election" - that's an algorithm that gets used here (again - all automatic) -- I doubt that'll be overly interesting to share, though there *IS* an override value option available should it be needed (I'd argue it's easier to just have a limited set of "reliable devices" elected to have CSEP enabled, and not have CSEP on "known unreliable" devices in the first instance).

Does that help / make sense?

• 9. Re: Pxe representative configuration - HELP
                        Stefano_ Apprentice

Yes, make sense and now it works. thnak you. Now i have another issue: int hte PXE Rep the service Landesk PXE Service start and stop after few seconds. I have reinstalled also the machine, alwasy same issue. Any ideas?

many thanks

Stefano

• 10. Re: Pxe representative configuration - HELP

Have a look at the logs & co mentioned here --  How to Troubleshoot Self-Electing PXE Services .

If need be, get in touch with support (since other than mentioning you're on EPM 2017, I don't know if you're on 2017.1 or 2017.3, nor what SU you're on). They may be able to get you a service update that may help you along, among other things .

• 11. Re: Pxe representative configuration - HELP
                            Stefano_ Apprentice

Ok Thanks, now both services are stable. Another question: i have allowed only 2 mac address to start via pxe in the subnet network but if i start up another client not allowed via pxe it can start: there is a way to allowed the PXE only for some client?

thanks

• 12. Re: Pxe representative configuration - HELP

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking here.

• Are you asking "how do I only allow 'Device_1' and 'Device_2' to be PXE reps" ?
                                • If so - that's VERY simple. You ONLY roll out the agent setting where you enable CSEP / PXE-services on to THOSE devices (and don't roll out enabled CSEP / PXE to the other devices).

That should cover everything.