13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2009 10:52 AM by Regis

LDINSCN32: Failed to resolve the Host Name

Rookie

I've just upgraded my core server from Management Suite 8.7 SP5 to Management Suite 8.8 SP3 and rebuilt the Agent Configurations. When I upgraded some test system with the new Agent Configurations, the inventory scanner gives the above error message. The really odd thing is that it seems that sometimes it works because the core is intermittently getting new scans from these test systems, but manually running the inventory scanner produces the error message. I wasn't able to telnet to the core server on port 5007, but I'm not sure it it's because we have a management gateway that these devices need to connect through. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the services on the core, as scans are still coming back from the non updated agent devices. Also, these devices all have the client certs present and are able to update the virus definitions via the core server.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: LDINSCN32: Failed to resolve the Host Name
          Apprentice

On the machine that produces this error, take a good close look at the commandline it is using to communicate.  Is it referring to the correct server name?  Make certain that if you ping the servername referenced that the machine is successfully able to ping that machine by name as well as more oftne than not this is an invalid name or bad name resolution.

Rule out these two first.

Mark McGinn
          Verismic Software - http://www.verismic.com
          Precision Engineering for Systems Management

• PC Power Management Software
          • LANDesk Historical Analysis
          • Self-Service Password Reset
          • LANDesk to Service Desk Integrations
          • 2. Re: LDINSCN32: Failed to resolve the Host Name
            Rookie

Mark, I double-checked and the name of the core server is correct. While doing more testing, it seems to be able to connect to the core and process the scan intermittently even though I haven't changed anything. Weird...

Is it possible:

- Because all of my devices are on an external network and must connect via a Management Gateway, is it possibly a problem with the Gateway and not the client?

- Would another LANDesk scan or process running at the same time on the client prevent the Inventory Scan from processing?

- I've already turned off Windows Firewall and Vista UAC for this test, but was wondering if there any known conflict with those security features and LANDesk?

• 3. Re: LDINSCN32: Failed to resolve the Host Name
              Apprentice

Definitely odd for it to be working intermittently.

The presence of a gateway should affect here.  The scanner attempts connection directly over port 5007 and only if it cannot connect there will it attempt to use the gateway.  if the gateway is not acccessible from within your network then you will get a failure.

There should be no loading issues on the server since it can handles 10's of thousands of scans a day.  It is possible that it is crashing and restarting though, so check the eventlog on the core server to see if you can find anything going on there.

You should be able to telnet to it if it is running, so if you can't then something is blocking you.

Trying running a manual scan from some other machines closer to the core on the network.  Is the issue isolated to just a few machines on a single site, or do you get this issue elsewhere?  Did you upgrade the existing server or install to a new server?  Could you have a DNS issue where the old IP address is being pointed to by mistake?

Mark McGinn
              Verismic Software - http://www.verismic.com
              Precision Engineering for Systems Management

• PC Power Management Software
              • LANDesk Historical Analysis
              • Self-Service Password Reset
              • LANDesk to Service Desk Integrations
              • 4. Re: LDINSCN32: Failed to resolve the Host Name
                Employee

Is your Management Gateway an old ISO build, the Appliance, or the VMWare version of the Appliance?

If you log into the Gateway through a web browser how many current connections do you see listed?

On the Gateway Service tab what is the value in the Maximum Connections field?

• 5. Re: LDINSCN32: Failed to resolve the Host Name
                  Rookie

Mark, thanks for the suggestions.

Maybe this will help to clarify the situation. All of my devices connect via the internat and therefore need to connect via a Managment Gateway Appliance to broker the connections. I've recent upgraded my core from 8.7 SP5 to 8.8 SP3 and I wanted to upgrade the agent configuration for new installations, but the test devices that the recompiled agents have been installed on are having problems. The core is still receiving scans for the old agents and I haven't changed any settings for the recompiled Agent. If a scan is run from a device with the new agent within the internal network, the scan goes through fine, but when the device is connect via the MgmtGtwy, the scans operate intermittently.

Running the telnet from the devices with problems from an EXTERNAL connection resolves with a failed connection. Running the telnet from the devices with problems from an INTERNAL connection works fine.

Thanks again for all your help thus far.

• 6. Re: LDINSCN32: Failed to resolve the Host Name
                    Rookie

Mach6

The Gateway is the LANDesk Appliance.

Total connections:8673612
                    Total requests:9305158
                    Current:879
                    Failed authentications:8
                    Lockouts:0
                    Connections waiting:821
                    Connections linking:0
                    Connections requesting:14

Maximum connections is set to 1000 connections.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

• 7. Re: LDINSCN32: Failed to resolve the Host Name
                      Employee

OK, you are pretty close to 1,000 right now. (879 current, with more requesting).  Just to be clear, do the devices ever work through the Gateway, or only when they're in direct communication with the core (either through VPN or otherwise).

Also, if you open BrokerConfig on a client machine and run a test, does it succeed?

Finally, about how many devices do you have that connect through your Gateway on a daily basis?

• 8. Re: LDINSCN32: Failed to resolve the Host Name
                        Rookie

The devices with the 8.7 version of the Agent Configuration does work but the devices with the recompiled 8.8 version of the Agent Configuration works  intermittently when connected via the Gateway or they work regularly when they're in direct communication with the core. BrokerConfig does work and the machines and they do have a client certificate present.

We have a little over 1000 devices that connect to the core about 25 times a day each (inventory scan, policy based delivery, security scans, AV updates, etc.). It may sound a little excessive, but it is necessary since we need to be able to distribute packages quickly and do not have direct connection to these devices thereby removing all push abilities.

Thanks.

• 9. Re: LDINSCN32: Failed to resolve the Host Name
                          Employee

OK, that's a lot of connections to be going through a 1000 connection limit.  I would up that number to about 3,000 or 3,500, especially with all the traffic you are sending through.

Basically when you get 1,000 connections established everyone else is going to be ignored, resulting in them thinking they can't contact the Gateway, with the final result (for inventory scan) being that we get an error message stating that we can't resolve the server's name.

Let me know if the remediates the problem, and if so, for how long.

• 10. Re: LDINSCN32: Failed to resolve the Host Name
                            Rookie

Thanks for the quick respons Mach6.

I tried increasing the connection limit to 3500 on the Management Gateway Appliance and verified that the number of active connections were well below the maximum right before running the inventory scan on a couple of the devices. I ran the scan about 5 times with the scan successfully completing only once.

Are there any logging features available for LDINSCN32? The only one I see is LDINSCN32.txt and only updates when it successfully connects and adds the line

<Day, Date, Time> open key Software\Utimaco\SGEasy with flags 0x20019 returns handle 0, status 2

Not sure what that means though...

• 11. Re: LDINSCN32: Failed to resolve the Host Name
                              Employee

The logs that will really help are proxyhost.log on the client and brokerservice.log on the core.  Proxyhost.log is found under \Program Files\LANDesk\Shared Files and brokerservice is at \\coreserver\ldmain.

Try to run an inventory scan (ie, generate the error) then copy the files over.  Brokerservice.log in particular gets overwritten extremely quickly, so it's important to get it quickly after getting the error.  If you could also include the device id for the device you do your tests from it would be very helpful.

• 12. Re: LDINSCN32: Failed to resolve the Host Name
                                Rookie

Mach6 here are the log files. I ran the scan 3 times and they all failed. based on the log files, it doesn't look like it's even making it to the core server.

Device ID: {C8DFC3E5-CEA5-824D-8484-AF51CF7A5A97}

ID:3364

Thanks again for all your help with this...

• 13. Re: LDINSCN32: Failed to resolve the Host Name
                                  Apprentice

Hi Jay,

1. Ping the LANDesk core server by name (if you use server name in the agent configuration) from the client machine where you face this issue.

2. Since it is related to SP3 copy manually ClientDBUtil.exe, database.dlll and policy.client.data.dll files from LD88-Invoker-20253-882 patch into the %programfiles%\LANDesk\LDClient folder of the client machine and run the inventory scan.

(please take a back up of those file prior doing this)

Regards,

Regis