4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2018 6:11 AM by phoffmann

Need script to install printer from Landesk

MrGadget Expert

Running endpoint manager 2016 sp3.

I have tried several scripts I found in the forum and outside the forum but can't get any to work to install a printer through a software distribution task.

My script writer is in the hospital with cancer and I don't write scripts.

Any help?

• 1. Re: Need script to install printer from Landesk
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Sorry to hear about your scripting guy.

So - in general, I would suggest "talk to the OEM of your printer that you're trying to install".

There may be gotchas around installing the driver, usually support will be aware of those & they can help with getting you started. Those gotchas will usually be different from vendor to vendor -- and sometimes model to model. So there's no "generic" magic-wand script to install printer drivers (hence the lack of response).

If you'd include what make / model of printer you're trying to get installed, you may get a little further here (specifics do help), but no guarantees on that one.

Your main objective is to find / get to a functioning command-line that can get the driver installed properly (and potentially - figure out what mess of uninstalls you need to deal with first). Once you've got THAT, the rest is much easier and by and large "just" a matter of packaging up a batch-file, or Powershell script or "your poison of choice".

• 2. Re: Need script to install printer from Landesk
            carlos Expert

In addition, it also depends on where the printer is.

Is this a shared Printer? Are you in a Domain? or its just a local printer?

Network: Map the printer, it will install by itself.

Domain, use a profile, it will install by itself too.

Local, you can use a universal driver if available, you can search how to install a printer (model) via script and I'm pretty sure you'll find a solution.

Test the script by itself first, then deploy it as a task.

Script Install a TCP/IP Printer Port and Printer

Best.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Need script to install printer from Landesk
              MrGadget Expert

Guys, Thanks for your replys. Guess I should have been a little more specific.

I'm on a domain, the printer is on a print server and is shared. However after failing to get a script that would work I've decided to just type up directions for the users on how to install the new printer and send it out.

Since Carlos had a script listed I'm marking his as correct and assume the script works. Maybe it will help someone else.

• 4. Re: Need script to install printer from Landesk
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

No problem from our side on that front. Just be mindful of the fact that YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) based on vendor / model / "oddities" and such.

If you end up needing a hand with anything since you're shorthanded, feel free to hit up the community (a bit more specific info will be usually helpful), though responses may vary in time & such (it gets more complicated obviously if you need help with "in-house application X" that no one else has heard of, for instance).