4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2018 6:36 AM by r0xxDaniel

prompt for hostname in provisioning

Stefano_ Apprentice

Hi,

there is a way for show a prompt and insert the hostname until osd ?

thx

• 1. Re: prompt for hostname in provisioning
          jonl1 Rookie

Use the Device Name Prompter action type when adding a provisioning action.

• 2. Re: prompt for hostname in provisioning
            Stefano_ Apprentice

i did, but it doesn't set the name that i wrote. Should i set some variables?

• 3. Re: prompt for hostname in provisioning
              karlehenry Apprentice

This is actually quite simple once you have all the pieces.  In our organization we use a public variable called ldHostname for the computer name.  We set the public variable to a database value ("Computer"."Device Name").  What that does is if there is already a database value, the Answer file (i will get to this in a few) will pull that into "ldHostname" and use that unless otherwise changed.

Once you have that, you need to plug in %ldHostname% (remember: public variables are case sensitive).

Sample snippet from answer file:  <ComputerName>%ldHostname%</ComputerName>

Lastly, you can configure your Device Name prompter in the template as you want.  We use a letter-serial numbers of the machine to designate type of system.

so C-SerialNum is the format you have.\

Then you would open the Device Name Prompter settings:

1. select and click edit under Name Template

2. Add A Name Template

3. Enter C- (for my example)

4. Click variables

5. Click add

6. Name the Search Value: ldSerial and assign it a database value: "Computer"."System"."Serial Number"

7. click OK -> OK

8. In the drop down, select ldSerial, then click insert.

you should see that Template now reads: C-%ldSerial%

and then click save.

just a word of caution on this:  There is no action required on the Device Name prompter as long as their is already a database entry for this system.  If there is not, then you must Click OK when the device name prompter pops up during the provisioning processes.

I have been working on trying to find a way to automate that, but it  has been challenging.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: prompt for hostname in provisioning
                r0xxDaniel Rookie

karlehenry, did you try to use variables and the name prompter in offline provisioning?