4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2018 4:19 AM by phoffmann

How do I bypass Maintenance Windows, when pushing Distribution Packages

skidmod Rookie

Hi, I am a new admin, and my first job was tackle patching. I have been working with Ivanti for a few months and I am starting to use distribution packages.

I have 2 packages one is an .exe that installs our Anti-Virus Software, and the other is a batch file that does the same thing with a few different variables.

When attempting to push this to a few machines I am getting the error message Failed "an Attempt was made to install a package outside of the maintenance window"

I know that pushing repairs can bypass this window, is there a better way I can set this up to push out packages during hours?

People were complaining so my maintenance windows and Scans all are set to run from 1AM-6AM.

• 1. Re: How do I bypass Maintenance Windows, when pushing Distribution Packages
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

What version of EPM do you use, for one?

Reason I ask is that as of EPM 2018, Maintenance windows *ALSO* apply to software distribution.

So if you've got SWD tasks outside of your 01:00 - 06:00 window, that can get you into a spot of bother.

USUALLY I reserve Maintenance windows for servers & critical infrastructure (the sort of thing where you can't "just have an oops" so to speak), as they're an additional safeguard. If I understand right - you use them on (regular) endpoints? If so, can you enlighten a little more as to your thinking here?

(I'm not saying it's a wrong / right call - I'm just suspecting that there's good reasons why you *DO* use these widely, and so want to get better understanding for context ).

• 2. Re: How do I bypass Maintenance Windows, when pushing Distribution Packages
            skidmod Rookie

I am on the latest version of EPM 11.0.0.164 (the one with network mapping)

We use thin clients and VMWare VDIs at my company. Multiple people were complaining that Scans and Patching were dramatically slowing down, or even stopping production. Other users were manually killing the task and disrupting patching. So I got an Ivanti EPM (2018) server up and running along our old Landesk server to test and deploy.

The late night windows are working wonders, all of our patching is getting done and no one is complaining about slowness caused by the Scans/Updates. (We were also pretty far behind, due to complaints and having the scans and patching disabled).

It was all working great until we wanted to manually push out our AV and started running into this issue.

• 3. Re: How do I bypass Maintenance Windows, when pushing Distribution Packages
              skidmod Rookie

So after some additional discussion with my co workers, we are going to remove maintenance windows from everything but the servers, because it was not the patching that was slowing everyone down but the Vulscan. Thanks for the insight phoffmann.

• 4. Re: How do I bypass Maintenance Windows, when pushing Distribution Packages
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

So - after some delay (sorry, I was on-site without www-access all week), a few additional thoughts & ideas.

Since you're mainly worried about inventory & vulnerability SCANNING, rather than using maintenance windows for those, use the Local Scheduler & sensible filters for that (you can ensure that conditions are in such a way that they don't do things you don't want).

That said, be aware in regards to Local Scheduler about the following -- Local Scheduler and being aware of time creep .

Use Maintenance windows to prevent INSTALLATION of stuff when you don't want it to happen. The scanning is quite easy to control with our scheduler, or - push come to shove - even something like WIndows' Scheduler.

Hope that helps.