5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2018 9:45 AM by Jonathan.Schmidt

PolicyInstance Error

maba Apprentice

Hi everyone,

we have some trouble with the HEAT DSM Integration and our CI objects. The CI workspace is filled via discovery.

When I want to open a Ci object I get the following error message.

Furthermore, this error message also appears.

The following error messages appear in the logs. I have inserted one as an example. 

ScriptObject:FRS_WS_DSM_PolicyInstanceTargetInvocationException thrown by HeatSMIntegrationClient.GetPolicyListByTarget. Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)   at System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke(Object obj, Object[] parameters)   at ScriptActionAPI.Web.WebServiceHelper2.Utility.InvokeMethod(WebServiceHelper2 helper, Object service, String methodName, Object[] arguments, IDictionary`2 argsByName, String returnParameterName)InnerException:: CommunicationException The maximum message size quota for incoming messages (10485760) has been exceeded. To increase the quota, use the MaxReceivedMessageSize property on the appropriate binding element.Server stack trace:    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.MessageEncoder.BufferMessageStream(Stream stream, BufferManager bufferManager, Int32 maxBufferSize)   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.MessageEncoder.ReadMessage(Stream stream, BufferManager bufferManager, Int32 maxBufferSize, String contentType)   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpInput.ReadChunkedBufferedMessage(Stream inputStream)   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpInput.ParseIncomingMessage(HttpRequestMessage httpRequestMessage, Exception& requestException)   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.HttpChannelFactory`1.HttpRequestChannel.HttpChannelRequest.WaitForReply(TimeSpan timeout)   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.RequestChannel.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.RequestChannelBinder.Request(Message message, TimeSpan timeout)   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)Exception rethrown at [0]:    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)   at IHeatSMIntegration.GetPolicyListByTarget(GetPolicyListByTargetRequest request)InnerException:: QuotaExceededException The maximum message size quota for incoming messages (10485760) has been exceeded. To increase the quota, use the MaxReceivedMessageSize property on the appropriate binding element.Script: Execute error.Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

For me it looks like the message size to be sent from DSM to ISM is too large and therefore the transmission is aborted. Is it possible to increase the MaxReceivedMessageSize?

Due to this problem, our automatic software installation via request offerings does not work either. The installation is executed on the computer, but ISM does not receive any confirmation from DSM if the installation was successful.

We are using Ivanti Service Manager - 2017.2.1000.27030

Can anyone help or even know a solution for this problem?

If you have any further questions, I would be happy to provide you with further information.

Many Thanks in advance

Marcel Bade

• 1. Re: PolicyInstance Error
          Jonathan.Schmidt SupportEmployee

Hi Marcel,

It appears that the DSM message back to ISM was too large.  Increasing the MaxReceivedMessageSize should be feasible if you are on premise.  If you are on cloud this would need to be a support ticket to see if operations can make such an adjustment, but likely they will not for performance reasons.  If that's the case, the message coming from DSM might need to be revisited in the design of the service API to break it up into smaller chunks somehow.

There's a couple KBs on how to increase this when is was a problem for the ISM Discovery module:

https://landeskcommunity.force.com/customers/communitysearch#q=MaxReceivedMessageSize&t=All&f:@commonproductgroupname=[I…

The same convention should apply, however, the specific web.config file you'd need to modify will certainly be different.

Hope this helps!

Jon

• 2. Re: PolicyInstance Error
            maba Apprentice

Hi Jon,

we are on Premise. I have increased the MaxReceivedMessageSize property in web.config and now this error no longer occurs. Thank you very much.

However, we still have the problem, that the installation is executed on the computer, but ISM does not receive any confirmation from DSM if the installation was successful.Attached is a screenshot of the Workspace DSM request detail. Here you can see that the status only jumps to "Compliant" in some cases. (also on the same computer CI).

Do you have any approach we can take to solve the problem?

Many thanks in advance

Marcel

• 3. Re: PolicyInstance Error

Hi Marcel,

I've not worked with this integration directly so I can't give you any specific place to look, but I'd think you should see an error message somewhere in the logs.  It might be on the ISM side as an error trying to process the incoming message, or it might be an error on the DSM side showing trouble sending it.  You might have to kick logging up to debug to on one side or the other to be able to trace the actions in question.  It appears some items on your list are green, does that mean they got the expected return message?

You might also put a thread out in the DSM product forum.  You'll likely have better visibility to folks that have done this integration there.

Jon

• 4. Re: PolicyInstance Error
                maba Apprentice

Hi Jon,

Unfortunately, no errors are displayed in the logs. It just looks like the PolicyInstance messages coming from DSM are simply truncated. Some installation requests return the correct status. Maybe it's a timeout setting? Where can I find the DSM Forum?

We have already opened an incident ticket for it with Ivanti, but have not yet received a solution. This is a bit frustrating, because the software actually comes from the same vendor and there is no solution yet. I would also like to know if someone else has already managed to build a working solution that can be installed via an offering software.

Thank you for your support

• 5. Re: PolicyInstance Error

Hi Marcel,

Sorry this has been so much trouble for you, unfortunately the DSM product was not widely used outside of Europe so my experience with it in the US office is minimal.  I was going to suggest a support ticket if this wasn't getting any progress here in the forum so I'm glad to know that's already in progress.  I've heard of folks with this integration working and I'm sure it must or it would not have passed QA and made it to a release.

The DSM forum is here:

Desktop & Server Management (DSM) (Powered by HEAT)

Jon