6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2018 3:05 AM by rhaa

Update Location on link CI.Monitor to CI.Computer

rhaa Apprentice

I implemented a triggered Action on CI.Computer to Update CI.Monitor.Location when CI.Computer.Location changes. This works pretty well.

I also want to Update CI.Monitor.Location when new monitor is linked to computer. But the expression used seems not wo work in this case.

I use Rule Action “Run for Child” followed by “Update Object” to update Monitor Location. Expression used in Location Value: $(ChildFold("CI#Computer",  RecId, "CI#.", "$(Location)",  "+"))

As I wrote, this works pretty well when I trigger this on CI.Computer.Location change. But nothing happens when trigger is a relationship Event “on Link”.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Update Location on link CI.Monitor to CI.Computer
          Jonathan.Schmidt SupportEmployee

Hi rhaa,

Can you give us screenshots of each rule setup (the working and the non-working)?  It would help us to be able to think through the scenario.

Jon

• 2. Re: Update Location on link CI.Monitor to CI.Computer
            rhaa Apprentice

Hi Jonathan

Thanks for your answer and sorry for the delay.

Here is the trigger that works if Location Field is updated:

Value: $(ChildFold("CI#Computer",  RecId,  "CI#.",  "$(Location)",  "+"))

I also want to update CI.Monitor.Location when a new Monitor is linked to Computer, but this does not work:

and so on (same Action to run).

• 3. Re: Update Location on link CI.Monitor to CI.Computer

Hi rhaa,

Can you show me how you are linking a monitor to the Computer?  You might also try the "base" version of that relationship if you are sure its what you are using - i.e. "CITypedLinkCI" and then put a filter on the trigger to narrow it's scope to only run when the other side of the relationship is a Monitor.

Does that make sense?

Jon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Update Location on link CI.Monitor to CI.Computer
                rhaa Apprentice

this is how the link is saved in fusionlink table:

I tried this because of your answer but it also didnt work (relationship set from CITypedLinkCI:CI#Monitor to just CITypedLinkCI)

Edit: remind: configuration for CITypedLinkCI:CI#Monitor works on update of Location field, simply not on link.

I also tried "on link Relationship CITypedLinkCI" and still Run for Child for CITypedLinkCI:CI#Monitor but this also didnt work.

• 5. Re: Update Location on link CI.Monitor to CI.Computer

I can confirm I am able to fire a triggered rule based on link of this relationship (I used a simple send email action).  I placed it on the root CI object and it worked when I used a custom child panel to link from a CI.Computer to a CI.Monitor.

If you replace your Run for Child rule with a send email action that emails out to your email address, does that fire?  If so, your trigger is correct but the rule it's firing must need something more.

I'm wondering if the childfold rule might be pulling back several values now that more than one CI is linked via this relationship and so you are effectively getting a quick action that is trying to set "South JordanSouth Jordan" instead of "South Jordan"?

• 6. Re: Update Location on link CI.Monitor to CI.Computer
                    rhaa Apprentice

E-Mail does fire on link CITypedLinkCI and also on link CITypedLinkCI:CI#Monitor so trigger seems to be ok.

Because of your answer I tried the following Action to test if run for child work. But Notice Field on Monitor was not updated after I linked a Monitor to Computer.

I do not understand why "Run for Child" works on update Computer Field but not works on link a Monitor....