11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2018 5:50 AM by Arcereus

Wake on Lan Devices wont shut down

Arcereus Rookie

Hello,

as you can read in the Title, im trying to use WoL to Patch devices and shut them down. The script is working without any problems, but the devices wont want to shut down after the task was sucessfully executed (I've waited more than 2 hours after completion).

As you can see in the Screenshot, Wake up devices is checked (Most of the devices are waking up, but not allways every device).

Is there something i am missing?

Many thanks!

• 1. Re: Wake on Lan Devices wont shut down
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

First thing that comes to mind - "did you disable the shutdown"? There's a registry key setting that essentially will case it run in a "do WOL, but don't shut down" -mode...

*digs for registry key* ...

Ah - this should be it (on the Core):

Under:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Intel Scheduler\Parameters\

Check for an added DWORD called “WOLLeavesAwake” and if it exists / has a value of 1 or higher, it's active!

• 2. Re: Wake on Lan Devices wont shut down
            Arcereus Rookie

Hello,

thank you for your answer!

the Key did not exist on the core. So when i add the registry key and give it a Value of 0 (Or when the key dosent exists) the Devices should shut down, right?

I've added the DWORD and set the Value to 0.

Maybe im wrong, but i will try this!

EDIT: The Devices still wont shut down. I have added the DWORD Key and set the Value to 0

Many Thanks!

• 3. Re: Wake on Lan Devices wont shut down
              Arcereus Rookie

Hello,

so i looked again and asked my colleagues too. In previous Versions there was a option to check this, wich is now gone.

So i digged in the options and only found the Reboot settings. In Distribution and patch i havent found a similiar setting.

Do you know if there is another setting? Or am i blind?

Thank you!

• 4. Re: Wake on Lan Devices wont shut down
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

That sort of rings a bell ... I *WANT* to say that we may have decided to not shut down devices via WOL anymore by default, because it tended to cause customers more "unexpected problems" than help usually ...

... lemme see if I can find anything mentioned in my notes ...

Aha ... It was a change introduced in EPM 2016 ... machines that were woken up with WOL will no longer get shut down, *IF* you use the "Accelerated Wakeup" option!

It's configured in the task properties - you may want to check your task(s):

Is it possible that you've got that option checked ?

• 5. Re: Wake on Lan Devices wont shut down
                  Arcereus Rookie

Hello again ,

As you can see in this Screenshot, i have selected Wake up devices and in Accelerated wakeup says that they wont be shut down. I cant select both at once too and i wanst able to wake up the devices with Accelerated wakeup too...

Do you know what could be the Problem? Maybe its something simple that we both dont think is the problem...

Thank you very much for your help!

• 6. Re: Wake on Lan Devices wont shut down
                    masterpetz ITSMMVPGroup

Hi,

can you check the eventlog on your client, if there is something wrong with the shutdown at the time when it should shut down? Sometimes windows itself prevents a shutdown, maybe an eventId from the eventlog can help.

Kind regards

Christian

• 7. Re: Wake on Lan Devices wont shut down
                      Arcereus Rookie

Hey,

i've looked at two of my devices. The only thing that "looks" like a Landesk error was  the Service Control Manager with the eventid 7030.

It says (I try to translate it as simple as i could ): The Service "LanDesk Extended device discovery service is marked as interactive service. The system has been configured to not allow interactive services. The service may not work propertly.

I have only found this event on only one of my devices (The other device had no "LanDesk eventerrors")... i havent found any similiar events that could be the Problem...

Kind regards and thank you for your help,

Dominic

• 8. Re: Wake on Lan Devices wont shut down
                        masterpetz ITSMMVPGroup

Hi,

not just looking for LANDESK Messages, look more for User32 Messages. You can enable or disable the shutdown tracking in the local policy or group policy, when you google for "enable shutdown tracker", you should find help. But maybe ist already enabled, search for the source "User32" in the Event log.

Kind regards

Christian

• 9. Re: Wake on Lan Devices wont shut down
                          Arcereus Rookie

Hey,

sorry for my late answer.

shutdown tracking is only aviable for windows 8 and above, but we still have windows 7 devices, so this is no Option .

I have looked for User32 and i havent found a Information for the Shutdowns (That LanDesk should do). I have only found Informations where i shut down the Device manually.

I've also changed the Core Server to see, if this will fix the Problem, sadly it didnt.

I dont know what could be the Problem....

Kind regards and thank you for your answer

Dominic

Edit: I found a information, that seems to be from LD

Process winint.exe  started the shutdown for the following reason: Shutdown from Legacy-API.

The Devices did not shut down...

• 10. Re: Wake on Lan Devices wont shut down
                            masterpetz ITSMMVPGroup

Hi,

your last "Edit" was exactly what I was looking for. It seems that some application or process prevents the shutdown. I would try to analyze with procmon. You can configure that procmon runs automatically on startup and save the results in a logfile.Try to capture the whole process until the failing shutdown and then analyze the log. Alternatively you can search the whole device for Windows logs and search for errors at the time, the eventlog event is written. Both ways are painful and time consuming but thats our job as admin...:-)

Kind regards

Christian

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Wake on Lan Devices wont shut down
                              Arcereus Rookie

Hi,

thats a good tip!

I will start to use this tool and anlyse the events. Im looking forward to give the Results ASAP (Im a apprentice, but i will do my best )

I expect to answer in ~2 days.

Thank you very much!

King regards,

Dominic