4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2018 8:56 AM by cw30755

Outgoing Email Journal doesn't reflect actual emailed recipient(s)

cw30755 Apprentice

I am trying to troubleshoot a weird issue and would appreciate any feedback.  We recently added a Stakeholder field to our incident BO so that we could identify other people in the organization that need to be informed about certain incidents.  I have built that and it works well in test.  What I do notice is that the Outgoing email journal always reports that my notification goes to the customer, and not the address(es) in my Stakeholder field.  I have confirmed that the actual emails get sent to the right people, but I would like the journal to accurately reflect what is being sent.  Screenshots below will hopefully provide some clarity.

Here you can see the customer and stakeholder are different names/email addresses and my trigger only sends To: the Stakeholder field

Stakeholder.jpg

But in the journal, the To: field is logged as being sent to the Customer field, and not the actual person(s) who got the email from the Stakeholder field.

SH_Journal.jpg

Any thoughts / ideas?

• 1. Re: Outgoing Email Journal doesn't reflect actual emailed recipient(s)
          rosscarins Employee

Hi,

So to confirm, is both '[email protected]' & '[email protected]' actually receiving the email, but only the first is being recorded in the Journal?

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the format of the address in the stakeholders field and whether it might work better if just the email address ([email protected]) was the value that it would then appear in the journal. Strange if it did but sometimes there are quirks

Cheers,

Ross

• 2. Re: Outgoing Email Journal doesn't reflect actual emailed recipient(s)
            cw30755 Apprentice

Hey Ross, thanks so much for the reply.  Actually, the customer (chadtest) does NOT get the email, and they aren't supposed to.  Only the Stakeholder should get the email (cwhite).  I get the same result even if i enter just a basic email address ([email protected]).  I have been looking at this and I believe I have narrowed it down to one of the calculation rules causing this.  In the Journal.Email BO we have a calc/edit rule (that is OOTB I believe) named Editing Rule for Journal.Email ToAddrList on update of ParentLink_RecID. (see screenshot below)  When I disable this rule in Stage, the Journal reflects the correct email address, but I'm not sure exactly what this rules does outside of my situation, so I hesitate just turning it off in Prod.

EditingRule.jpg

Any thoughts on this rosscarins?  Think I should I leave the rule but consider checking the "Assign only if target field is empty" option?

Thanks again,

Chad

• 3. Re: Outgoing Email Journal doesn't reflect actual emailed recipient(s)
              rosscarins Employee

Hi Chad,

I'm not sure why that rule is required, especially when from you're testing turning it off the correct address is displayed in the Journal.

Basically what this rule is doing is updating the Journal Entry To field with either the Email field from Incident or Service Request. This is happening after the email is being sent clearly, and as a result over rights you're intended address with whatever is in the Incident.Email field (which by default will be the requester's email address). There must be a reason for it, just not sure what.

One thing you could do is if the incident customer shouldn't be getting the email, you could create a business rule in Incident to update the Email field with the stakeholder's email address. I'm not sure if you want that under all conditions but you could build it into an 'IF' statement if you only need it under certain conditions.

Cheers,

Ross

• 4. Re: Outgoing Email Journal doesn't reflect actual emailed recipient(s)
                cw30755 Apprentice

Thanks again for the reply Ross!  I took a few days off and then came back into a mess, so apologies for me taking so long to respond.  I decided that since we weren't really sure what changing that editing rule would do in the long run, I changed my custom trigger so that it sends those stakeholder emails as a carbon copy instead.  There's no existing rule to overwrite the CC: field so it will mean that the journal is correct (enough) for our purposes.

Thanks again!

Chad