7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2009 4:55 AM by phoffmann

I need to make a package built with package builder run silent.

Apprentice

I have tried adding this to a batch and adding /qn etc but the task fails, is there a good way to do this?

• 1. Re: I need to make a package built with package builder run silent.
          zman Master

So Package Builder is not in MSI format but an EXE. I would suggest you run it via LANDesk and use SWD as package type.You can control the UI with delivery methods.

If you need to run a PB/SWD package outside of LANDesk use /An . This PDF documents all the command lines starting at page 14 http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2575

• 2. Re: I need to make a package built with package builder run silent.
            Apprentice

Hi Zman...Still didnt run silent but I managed to get hold of an exe to msi wrapper...Now works a treat..

Cheers,

James

• 3. Re: I need to make a package built with package builder run silent.
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

zman wrote:

So Package Builder is not in MSI format but an EXE. I would suggest you run it via LANDesk and use SWD as package type.You can control the UI with delivery methods.

If you need to run a PB/SWD package outside of LANDesk use /An . This PDF documents all the command lines starting at page 14 http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2575

It should be noted that Package Builder / ESWD packages should NOT be treated as EXE's, but as ESWD packages (and configured as such in LDMS).

The reason for this is so that the Core knows what command lines to throw at the client (if SDCLIENT tries to execute the package, it's not going to have too much joy - it'll work, but the command line parameters are a "so and so" thing). If, however, the package is configured as an ESWD, then the command line differs (quite a bit), and the respective quiet-flags and co can be observed.

In any case, this should, hopefully, not be much of an issue going forward .

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 4. Re: I need to make a package built with package builder run silent.
                ahe Expert

Hello Paul,

in the past it was possible to use own internal parameters in Package Builder packages and start them as ESWD in LANDesk. Sincd 8.7 it is no longer possible. So all packages which use these parametes can be installed in EXE mode only...

(That was one important cause, why we changed from Package Builder/ESWD to AutoIT/EXE packages !)

But as Dave wrote, the switch /An works for installation outside LANDesk...

Regards

Axel

• 5. Re: I need to make a package built with package builder run silent.

ahe wrote:

Hello Paul,

in the past it was possible to use own internal parameters in Package Builder packages and start them as ESWD in LANDesk. Sincd 8.7 it is no longer possible. So all packages which use these parametes can be installed in EXE mode only...

Axel,

can you give an example of what you mean? I've re-read the comment a few times, but it doesn't make sense to me. If I had an exmaple of what you meant, it'd probably answer a lot of questions .

Thanks.

OHHHH ...

Do you mean ADDITIONAL input parameters? I.e. "MyDateString_1" and so on?

Right - yes, OK, in that case, that does make a lot of sense and is correct .

• 6. Re: I need to make a package built with package builder run silent.
                    ahe Expert

Sorry Paul,

for my bad formulation (my english is not so good... :-) )

You're right, I meant additional input parameters like:

my_great_package.exe -PARM1

my_great_package.exe -PARM2

We use this functionality to reduce the space on our package stores, we use only one package with different parameters, for example for different license keys or countries or different modules...

The parameters are checked in the Package Builder packages and are used there. After migration from 8.1 to 8.5/8.7 (two years ago) we've had a big problem, because we make a update of the existing installations and our ESWD package didn't work...

Regards

Axel

• 7. Re: I need to make a package built with package builder run silent.

Eh - no worries, figured out eventually what you meant .

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead