9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2018 4:52 AM by Andy Harper

'Do Not Disturb' option in Agent Settings and Skype for Business

Andy Harper Apprentice

I want to avoid popping up software distribution or patch messages when a user is presenting with Skype for Business but it seems the only relevant executable in use is Communicator.exe which is always present even when Skype is dormant. Has anyone come across this or have a solution?

• 1. Re: 'Do Not Disturb' option in Agent Settings and Skype for Business
          Kayla.Culpepper SupportEmployee

Hello Andy!

Thanks for posting to the Ivanti Community.

Sorry that it seems no one has the answer to be able to assist you on this yet.  Did you manage to get any further information on this? Please share anything you deem useful and the community may be able to offer some help.

If not then please do consider the other ways to engage with us to get assistance:

https://community.ivanti.com/community/contact-support

Kayla Culpepper
          Customer Service Coordinator
          Ivanti

• 2. Re: 'Do Not Disturb' option in Agent Settings and Skype for Business
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

I would argue ... "don't pop a UI" ?

Popping a UI in the first place should be for relatively "rare" cases where you're going to do a lot & don't want people to £("*"£& around with the device (i.e. "we're up-lifting to the new version of Office. That'll take a while. Leave us to it...") ... along with it, some up-front user comms (e-mail) is generally a good idea.

The rest of the time, I (personally) prefer to keep things quiet, unless there's a process or legal requirement on you guys?

=======

If they know that (say) "the Friday following the 2nd tuesday of the month, we're going to be deploying patches" (or whenever), there should be fewer surprises ... training your users is half the battle (is my limited experience).

Is there any particular reason why this is coming up (specific to skype) ?

Usually the DND stuff is intended so "you don't reboot the device when a CTO is running a PPT presentation with customers" type of thing (but that too can be handled with reboot settings and such) ...

... and finally you've got time filters. If you can (luxury, I know, but one can hope) declare that "we're going to shutdown / reboot your device EVERY Friday at 18:00" (and I know a few shops that do precisely that), that's a big help (since Microsoft for some reason now only installs patches on reboot, rather than Shutdown or reboot - which is a bit weird).

A bit more context would be helpful here.

As for the binary to look out for -- I suspect that Communicator.Exe is the main binary & may just "blow up in size" when a call is being made (our remote control stuff works on a similar basis. You "sleep" but are active ... until you're needed, at which point you "go larger").

Hope that helps?

• 3. Re: 'Do Not Disturb' option in Agent Settings and Skype for Business
              Andy Harper Apprentice

Hi Paul, I would agree that in most cases the less the user knows the better and my preference is silent installations and natural reboots, however there are times when software deployment needs user interaction or a reboot is preferable directly after a software or patch install in which case we need the pop-up. This is especially true as most of our end user computer estate are laptops, which by their nature, are generally only available to manage when they are in use.

So for context: With the advent of mobile O365, mobile collaboration and unified comms, the use of Skype for presentations and phone calls is the norm and interrupting these are considered bad form, so a way of detecting when Skype is in use is more and more relevant when DND is required.

• 4. Re: 'Do Not Disturb' option in Agent Settings and Skype for Business
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

hmm - I suspect in that case, you may need to ask / trawl the Microsoft fora for information (on how to determine whether Skype IS or ISN'T actually doing anything).

You MIGHT end up needing a wrapper script (something like Powershell or so) that ONLY goes to kick off the actualy install once (say) "binary X is running below 200 KB of memory utilisation or something like that".

I suspect you might want to use this opportunity to also file an enhancement request -  Enhancement Requests (over here) - for a "more general" solution for those "always on" applications. Effectively a "DND v2.0" to deal in a more generic fashion with a more enhanced logic engine beyond "process X is running"?

• 5. Re: 'Do Not Disturb' option in Agent Settings and Skype for Business
                  Andy Harper Apprentice

Thanks Paul, I'm sure there's a way of wrapping a solution but we are trying to back away from always having to rework solutions, I was hoping that someone may have got there already

Next steps: place a call with Microsoft premier support; feedback to this thread; raise an Ivanti enhancement request.

• 7. Re: 'Do Not Disturb' option in Agent Settings and Skype for Business
                    carlos Expert

I don't think this is an Ivanti task, I would look at all the processes running before and while the session is running, any system logs, etc then create a wrapper around that...

Good Luck.

• 8. Re: 'Do Not Disturb' option in Agent Settings and Skype for Business
                      mmajeres Apprentice

I've voted for the enhancement request.

I agree that a DND option to look at Skype status and suppress pushes when it shows "In a Conference call", "In a meeting" or even "Do Not disturb" would be a way for us to be more customer-friendly to our internal users.

• 9. Re: 'Do Not Disturb' option in Agent Settings and Skype for Business
                        Andy Harper Apprentice

Last update from Microsoft on this one below. In summary there is no way to identify SfB use on the client side but the server side can be interrogated for connection information that could be cross referenced to the client user and action taken or avoided. Messy and unreliable IMHO.

Microsoft Response:

Resolution/Workaround:

Had discussion with the backend team and came to know regarding to the query” Advisory: Is there any process or registry key to understand if skype for business is active(on call, PPT presentation) so that while doing windows patching or any configuration as an administrator the SFB client is not disturbed.” we do not have any process or any registry key to know if SFB is active or no.

Instead, running the following script you will come to know how many skype connections or endpoints(Skype on mobile, desktop, Mac) the user is connected to but will not give the option of on which endpoint the user is connected.

Here is the article which gives you information about List Connections and Users connected to Lync Registrar Pool as suggested in previous mail.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/meacoex/2011/07/19/list-connections-and-users-connected-to-lync-registrar-pool/

I'm happy to pass on the full detail that followed this information about running which scripts etc but most is detailed in the  link above.