4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2018 7:46 AM by AllenV

Can hidden/unused request parameters be removed from Print ServiceReq output?

AllenV Apprentice

We have serveral request offerings we have created.  In order to make them work correctly, we have hidden parameters to capture validation/linked data.  When we print the service request using the built-in "Print ServiceReq" button the output contains all parameters (even the row aligners).  Is there a way to remove the ones that are set to hidden from the output?  Some parameters are hidden based on values selected in other parameters in the request offering.

2018-07-20 16_26_29.png

2018-07-20 16_28_29.png

• 1. Re: Can hidden/unused request parameters be removed from Print ServiceReq output?
          DTurner Expert

Hi AllenV,

I imagine we can.

If we take a look at the layout configuration for the form, you can see what quick action the toolbar button is calling:

Unfortunately, it now gets beyond me as the QA 'Print ServiceReq' is actually a report:

As with many seemingly 'simple' tasks in ISM, it now becomes a complex endeavour. In order to modify the contents of the report, you'll have to login with the 'Report Manager' role and navigate to the 'Report Template' workspace.

From here, we can download the templates and modify them with SSRS Report Builder.

The 'Print ServiceReq Report' report simply calls the 'ServiceReqMain' Report:

If we then download this report we can see what you're interested in:

As this calls all parameters I am unsure how to exclude specific results as I haven't used this feature before. I'd be surprised if it wasn't possible - if I get some time, I will have a mess about with this and see if I have any success.

There might be easier ways to achieve this short-term, such as a ChildFold for the parameters. I'd guess it's done this way because you can't use the export to excel QA due to the structure of ServiceReqs.

Perhaps you have some experience with this side of things or someone else on the forum may be able to help.

Dec

• 2. Re: Can hidden/unused request parameters be removed from Print ServiceReq output?
            AllenV Apprentice

Hi DTurner,

Thanks for your input.  I have gotten as far as you, but I am not familiar with how it builds the list of parameters.  It looks like it is in the DisplayName and <<Expr>> values, but I cannot see what the expression is.  Looks like it is from another subreport?

Allen

• 3. Re: Can hidden/unused request parameters be removed from Print ServiceReq output?
              DTurner Expert

Looks that way.

Will be conjecture on my part from here out but it looks that the display parameters are all generated on the Main report. ParameterValue, DisplayType, ValidationList_RecID, ValidationList_Definition are then passed to the Sub report. This report uses the following as a dataset:

=IIF((IsNothing(Parameters!ValidationList_RecID.Value) OrElse Parameters!ValidationList_RecID.Value = ""),"SELECT 'ERROR' AS ValidationListValue",(FRSReportExtension.SSRSExtension.GetValidationListSQL(Parameters!ValidationList_Definition.Value, Parameters!ParameterValue.Value)))

I don't know exactly what this query is doing but I presume it is generating the parameter values then assigning that to ValidationListValue.

If you need to remove specific parameters from the report, I reckon you would need to modify the dataset on the Main report (ServiceReqParam) to filter out hidden parameters for example.

However, I doubt you would be able to evaluate the visibility expressions so the easiest way to filter would be based on part of the parameter name. I'm inclined to think that removing them from the main report would update the sub report as the values are passed to that report but I'm not sure.

• 4. Re: Can hidden/unused request parameters be removed from Print ServiceReq output?
                AllenV Apprentice

Thanks DTurner, I am able to exclude the row aligners and the parameters that are always set to hidden.  Now the trick is to exclude the other parameters based on other parameter values or existence of other parameters.  As a bonus this provided me a view into the Service Req Templates and Param tables to be able to figure out the linked issue I had below.

Anyone ever get this error "Please re-configure the control to use updated validation list" when trying to view a Service Request?