7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2018 11:37 PM by Julian Wigman

Export CSV file from Query

Pitmac1 Apprentice

Has anyone experienced a formatting error when exporting a CSV that has a description over 300 characters?

• 1. Re: Export CSV file from Query
          Julian Wigman ITSMMVPGroup

Pitmac1 Good spot mate;  I think I say something similar when exporting so long addresses the other day but didn't twig it could be a length issue but yes I saw the exported records shift out of step.

My money though would have been on the cut-off point being 255 chars.

Excel specifications and limits - Excel

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

• 2. Re: Export CSV file from Query
            Pitmac1 Apprentice

I wonder if anyone else that has experienced this if they use another software besides Excel?

• 3. Re: Export CSV file from Query

Pitmac1 I guess the first check is in the source CSV file to check if Servicedesk has constructed it correctly.

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

• 4. Re: Export CSV file from Query
                Pitmac1 Apprentice

If I open the CSV in Notepad and compare this to Excel.

1. It appears that all information displays with the delimiter ","

2. Excel started to break after the description

03.","7/19/2018 12:44:31","Resolved", The text would break a new line and leave a comma in the cell.

I wonder if it has to do with the period before the quotation

• 5. Re: Export CSV file from Query
                  Kacper.Madejek SupportEmployee

Hi Pitmac1,

My question would be if you are opening the .csv file in Excel or are you importing it via the Data tab?
                  By default, the columns in the import .csv file are divided by a comma (",") and the default for Excel is a semicolon (";"). With the import method, you can choose how your document is formatted. Here you can find more information on the import method: Text Import Wizard - Excel.

The other simple way is to open the .csv file in a text editor and replace (CTRL-H) commas with semicolons. Using quotations should make sure that you are modifying the delimiters instead of the actual body of the cells.

I've tested both methods with a summary of 300 characters and I didn't notice any issues with the formatting.

• 6. Re: Export CSV file from Query

Hi Pitmac1

What UI are you using to do the export BTW;  Console, WebDesk, Workspaces?

Maybe try in another UI as well as it might not be the same export code (if you are lucky)?

Long shot if you did in Console but I found this problem reference....

"P#5908 - "Quotation marks are not properly handled when Console query results are exported to CSV""

… which goes back a couple of years or more, but checking through the fixes I keep locally (basically I accumulate all fixes from release notes going back to 7.5 SP1) I cant see this one fixed either so wonder if it is still open?

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

• 7. Re: Export CSV file from Query

I also agree that tweaking the csv file (ie deleting chars until you find the one that triggers the issue) until the row imports correctly is the way to go as at least then Ivanti Support have definate steps to recreate.

Julian

MarXtar Ltd