10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2018 2:03 AM by phoffmann

Best method to install Visual Studio 2017

rayster Apprentice

We have tested couple of ways to distribute Visual Studio 2017 (over 12 gig)

Windows Action:

Download zip

Extract zip

setup /{with switches}

EXE

setup /{with switches}

additional files (include all files and sub directories)

Batch file

setup /{with switches}

additional files (include all files and sub directories)

EXE - run from source (network type install)

All methods install Visual Studio 2017 successfully, however the task gets stuck in "installing state"

For the Windows action sdistps1.exe never ends which causes the task to be in the stuck state.

I was wanting to see what others are doing to get Visual Studio 2017 installed.

• 1. Re: Best method to install Visual Studio 2017
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Any idea why the EXE gets stuck / what it's doing?

Arguably "getting that answered / fixed" should lead to the whole install being OK? (May involve a conversation with Microsoft to find out // use of ProcMon) ?

• 2. Re: Best method to install Visual Studio 2017
            carlos Expert

Visual Studio is really big, we are creating an Image for our Devs and installing this during provisioning. Placing the installer in the Portal manager or giving them a network share for they to install it.

-CS

• 3. Re: Best method to install Visual Studio 2017
              rayster Apprentice

Thank for the reply.

I believe the vs_installer.exe isn't giving a proper exit code back to the sdistps1.exe, so it doesn't know the installation process succeeded.

Previous case 00997456

Result was no idea what the issue is or best way to deploy such a large software package.

• 4. Re: Best method to install Visual Studio 2017

Well - the problem isn't the size - it's more that "inside" the installer something breaks.

And that's kind of outside of our control ... so you'd need to troubleshoot / fix this "with the package people" (Micosoft in this case).

I'll *assume* that there should be some sort of KB for automating install of this (you aren't the first one to try & deploy it at a guess, and I suspect you may not be the first to run into this).

Pretty much "all" we do is:

• Get the files there
                • Launch the install (by default as LOCAL SYSTEM)
                • Pick up result/exit codes when its done

... that's it (simplified).

You COULD try - rather than installing as LOCAL SYSTEM to install it as "full local admin" (a named user) ... some installers don't "get enough" rights with "just" Local System & need a full-on local admin (I remember some AutoCAD software causing grief like that).

If that doesn't help, you'll need to pester the package provider, since all we can do (at this point) notice that "so - that install - it's still running. I'll just be waiting here 'til it's done or so..." ... if that makes sense (from an Ivanti perspective)?

If someone else ran into similar issues & has advice, then obviously that's grand. But I'd suspect that the most likely place to find it would be somewhere on Microsoft's TechNet side of things?

• 5. Re: Best method to install Visual Studio 2017
                  rayster Apprentice

If we use the Windows EXE package method the task immediately turns to the yellow yield.

When this happens the software installs, but the task never changes from the yellow yield sign and will never show successful or failure.

I believe size of the installation files is a factor as the sdclient has to checksum each individual file.

This is what gave us the idea to zip them to 1 file and then install.

The task never goes to a yellow yield sign, but the task never seems to finish either.

If I take the zip or the installation folder and run the same command I have Ivanti performing, the application exists just fine and the software is installed.

Something with Ivanti and either the size of the installation or the number of files is causing odd behavior.

• 6. Re: Best method to install Visual Studio 2017
                    carlos Expert

What version of Landesk/Ivanty are you using?

In my 9.6 SP3 I always had problems with the status of tasks reporting correctly, sometimes it worked sometime it didn't.

Are all the other packages installing fine?

Now, just out of curiosity, I tried this myself, are you using the bootstrapper to DOWNLOAD the files from the internet during install? (vs_version.exe?)

Use command-line parameters to install Visual Studio - Visual Studio | Microsoft Docs

Or are you trying to deploy and offline version (by your comment of the 12 GB, I assume this is the case) then you need to do something completely different.

Create an Offline Installation of Visual Studio - Visual Studio | Microsoft Docs

This link is best for what you are trying to do (offline install):

Install on low bandwidth or unreliable network environments - Visual Studio | Microsoft Docs

I dont have the bandwidth to test all of this myself but I hope this helps you out a little.

Best.

• 7. Re: Best method to install Visual Studio 2017
                      rayster Apprentice

We have tested with 2017.3 and now 2018.1

We have a network install of VS2017, that we keep updated.

We would like Ivanti to pull that network install locally to the machine, install VS2017 and then purge the network install.

The reason being we don't want the clients to install VS2017 across the LAN/WAN. (i know we can do this via the distribution package set to run from source)

We have not tried to install by using just the vs_professional.exe with the answer file (response.json)

I will test just those 2 files and report my findings.

• 8. Re: Best method to install Visual Studio 2017
                        rayster Apprentice

Update:

Created a new Windows EXE package and picked the vs_professional.exe and passed the following switches

--add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.NetCoreTools;includeOptional --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.Node;includeOptional --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.ManagedDesktop;includeOptional --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.NativeDesktop;includeOptional --add Microsoft.VisualStudio.Workload.NetWeb;includeOptional --add Component.GitHub.VisualStudio;includeOptional --quiet --wait --productKey XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I pushed this to a test machine and it is working perfectly. The task in Ivanti shows working until the vs_professional.exe exits cleanly. Then the Task reports successful.

Believe it or not, the time it took to download all the files from a Preferred Server vs the time it took to dynamically download from the internet are about the same.

We originally packaged all the files together to help speed up installation time of the application.

• 9. Re: Best method to install Visual Studio 2017
                          carlos Expert

Glad is working for you now.

• 10. Re: Best method to install Visual Studio 2017

Hmm - if you pull the files from a peer, you should notice significant differences in speed. A multicast session deployment may be slower (but serves more clients at once), if that's what you measured.

Otherwise, I'd strongly expect LAN-pulled data to be faster than the same quantity from the WWW (unless you have some crazy WWW-pipe? ).

Glad to see/hear that you found a way around the installer doing whatever it was getting stuck on.