3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2018 9:30 AM by mbath61

How can I add a new note type to Problem and limit its visibility by role or team?

mbath61 Apprentice

Ineed to add a new note type to Problem and limiti its visibility by role or team

Our developer and on-site support engineers need to record internal notes that can be limited Role or Team

two examples are

• Notes about code changes for development projects
      • Notes about configuration changes on customer servers

Would like to create a new type of note/memo/journal call Internal Notes

Need to include it in Activity History tab for Problem, or Jornal list in incident

Need to exclude it to viewing by particular roles/teams i.e Self Service or County User

• 1. Re: How can I add a new note type to Problem and limit its visibility by role or team?
          Jonathan.Schmidt SupportEmployee

Hi Mike,

It sounds like you need to add a new extended BO to the Journal object, add the needed fields for the data you want it to contain and then build out the object permissions for all roles to limit it's visibility according to your need.

Is there something in particular you are getting hung up on?

I might take a different (easier) approach and simply add a boolean for this purpose to the existing Notes object.  You'd still need to build object permissions around that custom field but it would be less work than building an entire new object.

Jon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How can I add a new note type to Problem and limit its visibility by role or team?
            dcogny Expert

Hi,

It depends on how much you want to control who can see it, I would approach it twofold:

- I actually built this for us; I added a "Publish to Self-Service" boolean to the "Journal.Notes" object, it is always off by default and it can be changed after saving as it is not affected by the "end state", that way you can decide to show/hide at any moment (i.e. Analyst decide to show and supervisor decides to hide...). It is as simple as adding a permission to Self-Service users where they only can see Notes with that field true:

That would take care of the "Internal" notes, notes that need to be added to a ticket but does not need to be available for end users.

- This is just theoretically, but you could add a boolean for "Show only to Team members" that would make it visible only for those whose team matches the team owner. You could also build more to it and add "ApprovedTeam" and "ApprovedRole" fields to the Journal object and have the analyst select just the team and/or role that can see it.

I am not sure of how much you need the second one, in our case, the first part was enough, we do not mind other teams viewing the notes (in many cases it is actually useful), we only did not want the end users to see them.

As Jonathan said, it would be far easier add a few fields to the existing one that create a whole new object.

Hope this helps.

Daniel.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How can I add a new note type to Problem and limit its visibility by role or team?
              mbath61 Apprentice

[email protected] dcogny

I was afraid this was much more complicated, just didn't get my head around it right.

I think I'm going to start with the 'Self service" boolean approach, and see if they have a need for something like 'team only'

Thank you both, no i have direction on this, i can move on to my next crisis ;-)