5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 23, 2009 10:48 AM by neon88

HP DC5800 won't boot from a USB media

Rookie

Hello all,

I have created a USB boot media from provisioning but I can't get it to boot to HP DC5800? "There is not an available hard disk, or the hard disk driver is not loaded"?

I have no problem booting it from network or a boot media CD which it using the same peboot.img. This issue happened more offen in HP machines but not on Dell?

Do anyone have an idea?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: HP DC5800 won't boot from a USB media
          Employee

First, just to avoid possible misreadings by other people, I would rephrase the problem. The error message ("There is not an available hard disk, or the hard disk driver is not loaded") is the result of a test in startnet.cmd for the presence of a hard drive - i.e. does machine does boot into WinPE, but WinPE can't see a hard drive.

Until proof to the contrary, I would still take that message at face value - you're booting from a WinPE that doesn't have the right driver. If the problem doesn't happen when booting from the network, then try to think what difference there might be between the PXE boot image and the USB boot image. When you're doing a PXE boot, you're using a WinPE image (peboot.img) provided by the PXE rep. When you build a bootable media, you are using the core server's master copy of the image (ldvpe1.img). Could it be that you deployed the PXE rep(s) a while ago, at a time when you had the right driver in ldvpe1.img, and that meanwhile, for some reason, the core server's ldvpe1.img has reverted to a version that doesn't have the driver?

Have a look at this article. It provides an easy way to apply a comprehensive driver pack to your WinPE image.

• 2. Re: HP DC5800 won't boot from a USB media
            Rookie

Hi Jen, thanks for the quick reply.

I did what you have suggested, it didn’t work for me. I have tried either peboot.img or renaming LDVPE1.img from the core without success. I am trying to create boot WinPE from a USB drive (a self contain HII on a flash drive), I have no problem with any Dell machines but some selected HP models like DC5800. It’s failed at diskpart section not able to select disk 0? All Intel SATA drivers are injected according to your HII instructions. Attached is my modified Startnet.cmd

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

neon88

• 3. Re: HP DC5800 won't boot from a USB media
              Employee

You've deleted one line too many from your startnet.cmd. The standard startnet.cmd includes a line that reads "factory -winpe". That command performs a few essential config tasks such as... loading drivers.

• 4. Re: HP DC5800 won't boot from a USB media
                Rookie

I ran into same problem with both Dell and Lenovo laptops.  What was happening was that when AHCI was enabled on the computer and I booted with a USB key, the hard drive would be listed as "Drive 1" using Microsoft's Diskpart utility.  My provisioning actions failed because they were looking for "Drive 0".  My guess it that the USB key was taking over Drive 0 and bumped the hard drive to Drive 1 (only when AHCI was enabled).  You could test this by changing the computer SATA settings to ATA or compatiblity mode in the BIOS, or create partitioning actions to look for Drive 1.

• 5. Re: HP DC5800 won't boot from a USB media
                  Rookie

Thanks for the reply,

This is exactely what I was expecting failed with Diskpart. I have already try enabling Bios to compatibility mode without success.

This only happened with HP but not Dell.

Thanks,