6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2019 4:04 PM by jaericho

Remove Kaspersky AV Engine and Install New Bitdefender AV

Jon Miller Apprentice

I am trying to come up with a way to do the following in either a bundle or sequential steps:

1. Remove old LD Antivirus (Kaspersky Engine)

2. Install new agent (current endpoints have a 2017.3 SU3 agent build installed, need to upgrade to 2018.1)

3. Install new ivanti AV 2017 (Bitdefender Engine)

2 and 3 can be flipped around and a reinstall of the agent isn't absolutely necessary but would be convenient to get it all done at once. I'm not terribly concerned with bandwidth, so if part of the solution is to copy over the entire standalone agent, that can be done. To my understanding from many articles and ivanti support reps, the AV component must be done in 2 steps. I'm not convinced this is case.... I mean, come on, our entire job consists of automation! haha!

I can't build a bundle to do this because the removal and addition of the components are not packages, which also means I can't run this as a provisioning template. Scheduling groups of tasks was removed in a previous version of ivanit/LANDesk. I'm sure I can dig up the info on how to run a CLI to uninstall KAV (then I could create a tiny script) but then I'm stumped on the BD AV install. 

All ideas are welcome- I'm stumped. I can do this in multiple steps but having a single task run is the route I'm looking for.

• 1. Re: Remove Kaspersky AV Engine and Install New Bitdefender AV
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Important thing to add (and it is a very important detail) -- include reboots.

UN-installing any AV will usually require at least 1 reboot (due to their nature of operation, AV-s are VERY tightly hooked into the OS ... so doing a "uninstall old -> install new" without at least 1 reboot in between (and may need more) is a bad move.

Contacting support should be easy enough to get you the relevant command line to help uninstall the Kaspersky AV stuff (I'm not too hot on the AV, so don't remember).

Make sure you've read up on the BitDefender stuff with articles such as - How to get started with Ivanti Antivirus 2017 (Bitdefender Engine) - for instance too.

• 2. Re: Remove Kaspersky AV Engine and Install New Bitdefender AV
            Jon Miller Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. I actually ran into a larger issue with the new AV engine not being compatible with Cisco AMP for Endpoints. We won't be moving to the new AV anytime soon unfortunately because of this. I spoke with support about this and they stated that they were not aware of any incompatibility. I did a quick search for BD incompatible products and found a list but it didn't list Cisco AMP or the engine it uses (Clam AV) for quarantining items. This is a real bummer because the new Bit Defender agent ivanti is pushing out is very lightweight.

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Remove Kaspersky AV Engine and Install New Bitdefender AV
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

First I hear of it, but "OK" ... wouldn't be the first time that different AV engines would bite each other.

At a guess, BitDefender themselves aren't aware of this being a problem ... so until they address that, chances are our use of their engine is going to be similarly affected.

• 4. Re: Remove Kaspersky AV Engine and Install New Bitdefender AV
                sonny.mckenzie Rookie

For what it is worth, I am using the following script to install BitDefender:

c:\"program files (x86)"\Landesk\ldclient\vulscan.exe /installavnew /showui

Keep in mind Kaspersky must be removed before this will work.

My workflow is to install the new agent with no AV selected.  This has the benefit of removing Kaspersky if it is there and updating the agent in one shot. Then I reboot and run the script listed above followed by a final reboot.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Remove Kaspersky AV Engine and Install New Bitdefender AV
                  Alex.Richardson SSMMVPGroup

I just tested a 2018.3 agent install with BitDefender onto a PC with an existing 2018.1 agent with Kaspersky and the install of the new agent automatically removed Kaspersky and installed BitDefender.

It did require a reboot but was very seamless apart from that.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Remove Kaspersky AV Engine and Install New Bitdefender AV
                    jaericho Apprentice

Alex, did the agents have the same configuration name?

I accidentally deployed an agent push to some machines with BD (2018.3 to 2018.3 SU1) and it installed Kaspersky alongside BD. Then Kaspersky detected BD as a virus and promptly clobbered it. Leaving me with broken Kaspersky and BD installs that won't uninstall. Luckily it was only about 25 machines.

I'm wondering if it would be best to decouple AV from the agent (uncheck both AV boxes in the agent) and just use a provisioning task to install AV at the time of imaging? That way if I have to push out a new agent I wouldn't have to worry about which AV is installed.