Nortel Contivity Client

murraymint Rookie

Hi Guys

So here is my problem.

LANDesk 8.8 SP3

Upgrade of Nortel contivity client 4.86 to 7.01

Windows XP SP3

Non Admin users

I am trying to find a way to upgrade the Nortel contivity client on about 400 machines on our network, the problem is that during the install the software upgrade needs to reboot the client machine, however when the user logs back on again the install fails because 1, the user is not a member of the admin's group and 2, the installation is no longer being continued under the system account.

I have had a look at using batch files to do the install but this method does not lend itself to this particular software install. I have been thinking about installing using elevated permissions of the MSI, has anyone here managed to do this or can you provide so guidance?

I have attached a copy of the client configuration document from Nortel for reference.

Any help is appreciated.

Murray

• 1. Re: Nortel Contivity Client
          zman Master

My personal favorite is using Provisioning (Everything is done under System Configuration) for these tasks, becuase it is very easy to use and it survives reboots. Some other ways, Jack outlines a way to do this on the DP site http://www.droppedpackets.org/software-distribution/installation-chains/?searchterm=reboot. Paul's is a little more elaborate http://www.droppedpackets.org/software-distribution/install-a-package-that-needs-reboots-and-logins/?searchterm=reboot

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Nortel Contivity Client
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

I'm not so much elaborate as "hoarding" useful stuff. I've not come up with that method - but it very much is one possible route that's proven useful in some scenarios .

I try to remain idealistic enough not to have to resort to plagiarism .

But yeah - the things listed by the big Z should cover most needs.

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 3. Re: Nortel Contivity Client
              murraymint Rookie

Guys thanks for your replies however my problem persists.

The real issue is the reboot, when the job first starts it uses the System account, OK, but after the reboot the user is detected as the account that is continuing the installation and thus it fails. I have tried all of the methods that have been suggested above but without success. The one straw that I'm gripping onto is the MSI elevated rights method but I really do not want to configure this via Group policies, is there any other way?

Murray

• 4. Re: Nortel Contivity Client
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

Yes, it should work fine using this method - http://www.droppedpackets.org/software-distribution/install-a-package-that-needs-reboots-and-logins/?searchterm=reboot - really.

It's "a bit tricky" since you'll need to lock out keyboard + mouse and pray the user doesn't do something like pressing the power button, but that's about as good as you can get.

What you could do is modify this a bit, and do the following.

1 - kick off the whole thing as just "lock out mouse & keyboard ++ configure next package to be run ++ reboot".

2 - Run the first part of the install (now auto-logged in as local admin) ++ configure next package to be run ++ reboot.

3 - Run next part of the install (still auto-logging on) ++ undoing the auto-logon / keyboard & mouse lockout ++ reboot.

It's a bit of a staggered approach, but should do the trick. Not the best way, but about the only way given what you've stated.

Alternatively, maybe Nortel has some automated deployment information somewhere (have you checked with them)? If not, then the above seems to be about your best shot (though it's prone to "intervention by user on account of power-button / cable") ... so would be recommended to run when they're all gone home. .

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead