8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2018 3:59 AM by phoffmann

Console was working until i deployed an agent on the same box

EZ Apprentice

How can i bypass this issue?

• 1. Re: Console was working until i deployed an agent on the same box
          Rick.Smith1 Expert

EZ can you clarify. Is this a remote console on some device other than the core, or did you install the agent onto the core itself?

If this is just a remote console on a device other than the core, I don't see why you should be having any issues.

If you installed the agent onto the core itself, you probably have to .... call support and verify....

now that you were warned, I believe you need to uinstall it while leaving the CBA stuff. The command to do this is;

uninstallwinclient.exe /NODELCBA

For years they have warned not to install the agent on the core server, I still don't understand why there isn't a block in the installer that detects if its a core, not to proceed with the install... or maybe they have done this already, its not like I've tried to install it on the core or want to test an see, but if not, they should (queue someone telling me to go post it to the ideas board).

Rick

• 2. Re: Console was working until i deployed an agent on the same box
            mrspike SSMMVPGroup

We have installed the agent on our cores for the past 10 years without an issue.  Doing an agent uninstall with the forceclean option is a bad thing on the core.
            I have been back and forth with LANDesk on this... yes, it is fine...  no don't do it... what day is it??  I think it depends on who you to talk to and whether it's something that has been passed down and may not be true, or if there is a legit reason on why not.

I think it is pretty sad that if there is a reason why not to, that there is a reason at all.

• 3. Re: Console was working until i deployed an agent on the same box
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

From a more historical perspective...

• Back in the olden days (early 2000-s ... so around LDMS 6.6x  / 7.0 / 8.0 versions) it was a bad idea for sure to install the agent on the Core.
              • Chief reason for this was that as part of the uninstall, we'd be removing a whole slew of registry keys that the Core needed to actually function properly (was fine for an agent to not have them -- but the Core would break).
              • There *WAS* some other reason why installing the agent was bad back in the day, but I can't recall what it was (and seeing as it's 15+ years in the past, I'm loathe to search through e-mail archives & such) ... but there were other reasons back then as well.
              • This was all improved around the 9.0 era I think (it's been a while for sure), when the uninstaller was changed to not remove a "said bunch of things" by default ... so you could have an agent on the Core and not risk breaking it. So "yay".

... since then, you can have a regular agent on the Core.
              • AV on the Core could be a bit more of a headache (mainly due to config & needing to configure the AV to not tank disk I/O) ... but that's "the same story" whichever AV is/was used, not specific to what we integrated with. People can (and do) still kill their cores with a "default configured" AV without consideration for what we do & how we do it.

=======================

The big "No-no" in the past was UNINSTALLING the agent more than anything (because it used to break the Core). That's now a more acceptable thing (and I've been upgrading Cores for the last 10-odd years by starting to remove the agent from them) ... but there's a lot of "old wives' tales" type of thinking in the support org (we get burned a few times, things get put into stone, even if the rules change) among the support org, with a few people still having been around in the day to remember how that whole thing came about.

So - long story short.

• Installing an agent on a Core is fine.
              • You need to configure your AV to behave sensibly on the Core anyway (not an item in this subject, just covering my bases).
              • Where things USED to go awry was UN-installing the agent (it used to wipe out te DeviceID and removed critical files for the Core's own functioning which were shared among other things, which led to "broken Cores"). But this hasn't been an issue now for 10+ years if not longer.
              • Console & Agent are disconnected ... you can (/should) happily have a console on a device with or without an agent. Shouldn't affect each other.
              • If you have problems with the console ("it doesn't work" isn't exactly a detailed description), start with the logs first of all (CONSOLE.EXE.LOG for a start) and see where that leads you. Push comes to shove, tag support to help you out.

Installing the agent shouldn't (in my experience - doesn't) break the Console. 2 separate sets of files & such ... the two shouldn't touch in any significant way.

Hope that helps?

• 4. Re: Console was working until i deployed an agent on the same box
                EZ Apprentice

HI All,

Sorry was away for a while. Now i am back. I have not actioned this yet. Still open to suggestions.

Rick.Smith1, this happened on 2 use cases:

1) My work laptop already had an agent and i tried to install the console so i can remotely administor without RDP into the EPm core.

2) The core Server was added to the deployment task (by accident). The console was working but post agent deployment it would not launch.

The use case that is most important to me is point one. i already have an agent and my laptop is a managed device. I want to also install the console. Any ideas?

Thank you.

PS: Thank you phoffmann for the background info - very useful and i will definitel;y NOT uninstall to prevent further damage.

• 5. Re: Console was working until i deployed an agent on the same box
                  EZ Apprentice

Guys, further development: brand new install for a customer pilot. The console was working fine until i tried to take remote control of an endpoint. Now the console keeps crashing....

• 6. Re: Console was working until i deployed an agent on the same box
                    Rick.Smith1 Expert

EZ not sure about your remote console issue. Raise the case with support for that one as it might be related to another issue I am aware\heard of where if you remote control the device when its imaging and provisioning, once you disconnect provisioning stops. I dont have details, but my guess is that it's maybe cleaning up something that it should not be when the session ends.

Rick

• 7. Re: Console was working until i deployed an agent on the same box
                      EZ Apprentice

HI Rick, I raised 2 tickets actually for 2 different environments. In the mean time i found this advice when i was submitting my second ticket - from a  Scott Tenney not sure if he is still active on the community. I want to try his suggestions but need more info, so if you can expand on this at all your help would be greatly appreciated:

A. Test from the Core Console

1. Obtain the console.exe.log attach it to this case.

EZ> I will find this

2. Create an ODBC connection

EZ> To do what?

3. Remove all column sets. Post results in this case.

EZ> Inside the console? My console crashes...

4. Close any open tools, such as "Agent Configuration" or "Scheduled Tasks". Post results in this case.

EZ> How / where?

B. Test from the Remote Console

EZ> I have an agent on my laptop, will i be able to install the console on it?

1. Obtain the console.exe.log attach it to this case.

3. Examine the IIS logs from log in events to mbsdk.

4. Uninstall and reinstall the console.

5. Remove all column sets. Post results in this case.

6. Close any open tools, such as "Agent Configuration" or "Scheduled Tasks". Post results in this case.

• 8. Re: Console was working until i deployed an agent on the same box
                        phoffmann SupportEmployee

So a couple of things from "educated guesswork" type of thing for your above points.

EZ wrote:

EZ> To do what?

3. Remove all column sets. Post results in this case.

EZ> Inside the console? My console crashes...

4. Close any open tools, such as "Agent Configuration" or "Scheduled Tasks". Post results in this case.

EZ> How / where?.

• Re: "Create an ODBC connection"
                          • I would suspect that the purpose here is to check / confirm that you can connect to the database from the relevant console that is crashing. If you can't talk to the DB, it errors / crashes out on load. One of those "cover the basics" type of things to highlight networking / name-resolution type issues.
                        • Re: Remove all column sets...
                          1. While I suspect that the original intent here was to remove it by hand, you can "re-set" the console layout to defaults (in case that a tool or some UI-setting is causing your console to crash).

To do that requires you to go into the database. If you're comfortable with that, here's what you need to do:
                            1. Find "your user" in the CONSOLEUSER table *you're looking for the CONSOLEUSER_IDN value. You can do this with something like the following SQL:
                              -- Let's assume your NT-username is "bobBobson", so we can look for him like so:
                              select * from CONSOLEUSER where USERNAME like '%BobBobson%'

-- and the thing you WANT is the CONSOLEUSER_IDN. I'm using "select *..." so
                              -- that you can MAKE SURE that it's your user by seeing all the data. :)

2. Now that you have the CONSOLEUSER_IDN value for "your user", you can delete his console layout ("no actual data is lost - it just resets the console to look like it does at first launch") via the following SQL:
                              -- Let's assume your CONSOLEUSER_IDN is "10", in which case we'd use...
                              delete from LAYOUT where CONSOLEUSER_IDN=10

3. ... and then you just (re-)launch the console. Your layout of the console will be (re-)set to the default stuff as if you were a brand new user logging in for the first time.

• Re: Close open tools...
                          • That's usually related to "find out if any single tool is causing you to crash" type of thing. See the info above no "resetting a console layout to defaul").

... depending on where / how your console is crashing, re-setting the layout MAY or MAY NOT help out. If the console keeps crashing after re-setting the layout, it *MIGHT* be a good idea to take a full backup of your DB & send it to support, as there may be some more work required to figure out what's going on & it's usually better/safer to do so for us with a backup of the DB "on our side" rather than fiddling with a live system for obvious reasons.

That should help you onward, I hope.

1 of 1 people found this helpful