1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2009 2:40 AM by phoffmann

Provisioning Stability Issues

Apprentice

Hello everyone.

Well it's been a while since I've been on the forums here. I started my Provisioning quest a few months back and with the support of many you have been able setup Provisioning within my company. My only drawback with Provisioning though is the stability. For some odd reason I've run into several interesting issues. I will list them below and I hope someone can help pinpoint the cause or let me know if you've had the same experience.

1) During the Software Distribution tasks (there are 11 of them and they are their own templates that are included into a master) there are times where the process will install the first 3 pieces of software then fails. I will retry the full template and everything will be fine.

2) Here is a specific issue. I have a GX260 that I ran Provisioning on. Try 1 it imaged the machine and tried running the Configure OS and failed. Try 2 it booted into the OS for the first time and never picked up the Provisioning task from there. Try 3 the Provisioning process completed successfully.

3) I had an issue with a particular Softward Distribution task. One day it just stopped installing. I would look at the sdmcache and the silent batch file wasn't even getting pulled. Again my software distribution tasks are simply a template that install one piece of software that is included into a master template. What I did to fix this was deleted the template completely and set it back up. Worked fine after that.... why would this break? Have you seen this?

Mind you before I rolled this out I tested Provisioning on every machine we had here. (Optiplex 755, 745, GX520, GX260/70/80, E4300, E6400, D430/20/10/00) and everything was fine. I started seeing the issues after we upgraded to SP3.

My biggest issue is the 1st one where it will install 3/4 pieces of software and then fail. I appreciate any suggestions here.

Thanks,

Paul

• 1. Re: Provisioning Stability Issues
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Well, for a start, you'll want to actually look at the logs on the Core + the client.

Core-side logging in 8.8:

-http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-3162

Client-side logging and general troubleshooting:

-http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-1388

*Usually* if Provisioning is running into problems, there's also a trail in the IIS log (since provisioning is little more than a web service), so that's another popular cause for potential problems, so looking at your IIS log might be another useful thing to do.

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Provisioning Stability Issues
            Apprentice

This may be a clue into the problems I have been having.

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-6397

I do appreciate your suggestions I will take a look into these today.

• 3. Re: Provisioning Stability Issues

Ah yes - that's included in the mini-rollup patch.

That's what I forgot when I was writing that post (just couldn't remember what it was). Well found .

- Paul Hoffmann

• 4. Re: Provisioning Stability Issues
                Rookie

The mini-rollup did not work for me. LD had me then try installing PostSetupConfig.cmd. Which needs to be run form LDMain. This did not work either.

The only thing that I have found to work is to re-create the template. This doesn't sound bad if you have one or two templates but we have well over a dozen templates in production. Luckily we have a test environment I've been doing this in but SP3 has pactches we have been waiting for.

• 5. Re: Provisioning Stability Issues

Depending on what your problems are, you may then want to raise a ticket with LANDesk support, and provide us your test-Core's database.

We can see if we can duplicate the problems you're running into with your templates in our labs, and if we (hopefully) can, then we can investigate what's going on and why, and try to fix whatever's broken in your DB.

Thanks.

- Paul Hoffmann

• 6. Re: Provisioning Stability Issues
                    Apprentice

After we apply the roll-up I will continue to test these templates. Two things, first where would I find this error, After applying Service Pack 3 for LDMS, some provisioning tasks are failing with an error in the provisionin.log with a syntax of "unable to export taskxml"? Is it in a prov log or in console results?

Second, I just wanted to point out once more about my software distribution. I create templates that contains one or two software distribution tasks. (mostly just one) then I include that template into the master template that realldoes everything. (Images the machine, maps drivers, sets up HAL) I'm not sure if that has any affect on the SD failing.

skihaus, is your setup similar to this?

• 7. Re: Provisioning Stability Issues

Interesting - it's the exact error that should be resolved by the patch here:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-6397

The entry you state would be in the Core-side provisioning log-file, not CONSOLE.EXE.LOG

For reference, you may want to grab it, and compare the files inside it (in the IMAGE directory) versus the files on your Core - maybe something failed to get replaced, potentially (the patch has worked at a few other customers I know who've had the problem)?

EDIT: Noticed that the OP (Original poster) has already linked to this patch. If you've STILL got this issue after applying the patch, please verify that the files have been replaced/updated on your Core. If they have, please open this as a new ticket with LANDesk support, as we'll need to investigate this seperately as a new defect.

Thanks.

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical lead

Message was edited by: Paul Hoffmann

• 8. Re: Provisioning Stability Issues
                        Rookie

Similar, yes but we don't create separate templates to add to a master template. Our templates too are setup to do every thing but we have more then two software distribution packeages that we add.

• 9. Re: Provisioning Stability Issues
                          Apprentice

Paul - I'm not sure if I'm getting that error. I was just trying to verify where I would find it. You say it's on the core, which specific file on the core is it? Do you have this information? Thanks again for your help.

• 10. Re: Provisioning Stability Issues

Certainly.

That'll be this logfile -- PROVISIONING.LOG

It's in this directory -- \\YourCore\LDMAIN\LOG\PROVISIONING\

Note that the log-file's verbosity can be expanded by modifying the LOGLEVEL.INI (information on this is contained in the ini-file).

- Paul Hoffmann

• 11. Re: Provisioning Stability Issues
                              Rookie

LD provided me the PRV-26446883.zip file before the roll-up came out. I installed that and it did not seem to do the trick. I then installed the mini roll-up when that came out, still no go. Then I was asked to run PostSetupConfig.cmd from with-in LDMain. Still no go.

Paul - I was thinking of re-applying SP3 then the mini roll-up on my test core. Any concerns for doing this?

• 12. Re: Provisioning Stability Issues

No problems with it - we're pretty non-destructive with our installs.

I'd question the usefulness of it, since we'd only be trying to update files. Really, all you need to do is to open up the patch, check the IMAGE directory for the files it has in, and compare them versus the ones on your Core (I seem to recall that it's only 2 or so).

If the files on your Core are correct, you have a new/different problem - and we'd need to have a look at it.

If your files on the Core are out of date, it's possible you have a permissions issue or some such replacing them, and you may want to replace them by hand.

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 13. Re: Provisioning Stability Issues
                                  Apprentice

So I took a look at one of the issues a bit closer and from it I have a question. What is happening is when I boot into the OS for the first time and try to continue on the Provisioning tasks this particular machine is failing. I noticed that the NIC Card hadn't acquired an IP address fast enough before the Provisioning task had cancelled. Is there any way to put a wait time in here. I don't believe using the Wait task in the Provisioning template will work.

• 14. Re: Provisioning Stability Issues
                                    Rookie

We use "Wait" commands all through out the different sections of Provisioning with no issues.

Are you even able to get a template to kick off? I'm not, it just cycles through the count to 40.

1 2 Previous Next