6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2009 9:45 AM by jan.buelens

File not found - c:\sysprep\sysprep.inf - on Vista

Rookie

I have created an OSD task to deploy a HII Vista image.  The image deploys, copies drivers to the local hard drive, right before the imaging task finishes a message appears on the device stating "File not found c:\sysprep\sysprep.inf".  This is a Vista image; I have checked my deployment options to ensure that I have selected to use Sysprep for Vista.  The unattend.xml file is on the root of the hard drive.  Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

• 1. Re: File not found - c:\sysprep\sysprep.inf - on Vista
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

The client is looking for a SYSPREP file ...?

Either there's something weird in your script (that it's referencing the SYSPREP) - you may want to check it in an ADVANCED EDIT mode, or there's something freaky with your Vista image (if it's the Vista OS after the reboot that's complaining about the lack of a SYSPREP file).

If you could paint a clearer picture of the stage at which this happens, it'd help a fair bit, I think .

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: File not found - c:\sysprep\sysprep.inf - on Vista
            Rookie

The error is at the end of the WinPE process prior to the first boot into Vista.  I have attached a copy of the script if that is of use...

• 3. Re: File not found - c:\sysprep\sysprep.inf - on Vista

Seeing a log-file for the task would help, as there's nothing in your script that mentions anything about a sysprep file directly.

As a side-note, is the ';' commenting out the reboot line intentional (I'm suspecting it is for purposes of debugging)?

Rather curious  ...

- Paul Hoffmann

• 4. Re: File not found - c:\sysprep\sysprep.inf - on Vista
                Rookie

Paul,

Thanks for the input.

Yes, the ';' to comment out the reboot line was intentional.

I believe that the error stems from Copydrivers.exe.  Looking at the code within there it first of all sets a variable and then looks later in the script to see if sysprep.inf exists.  If it exists it adds or appends cmdlines.txt and GuiRunOnce.ini created in the Copydrivers.exe into the sysprep.inf file.

This shouldn't hamper my Vista task.  I will create an empty sysprep.inf in c:\sysprep to stop the message.

• 5. Re: File not found - c:\sysprep\sysprep.inf - on Vista

The way to find out whether you're correct, would be to boot into WinPE - Boot-menu, and then cancel/exit out of the actual choice of script you're trying to run.

You can then run through the script and run the command-lines through at your leisure.

Given that you have a good suspicion as to what the problem is, you can skip imaging and all that stuff (assuming the device has an OS + so on already), and just run the command - to see if your theory is correct.

- Paul Hoffmann

• 6. Re: File not found - c:\sysprep\sysprep.inf - on Vista
                    Employee

Copydrivers is one of the HII tools. And as you can read in the HII document, HII doesn't do Vista.

I would expect that CopyDrivers will work with Vista, however (there is no way the other tools will) - at least as long as you don't give it GuiRunOnce or cmdlines commands (Command lines for drivers that require a setup program in the GUI). If you don't give it those, CopyDrivers will not look for sysprep.inf.