4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2018 4:57 AM by phoffmann

Some custom attributes in inventory not replicating/disappearing

COLRmastenbrook Rookie

I am creating custom attributes in the Inventory for EPM 2017.3, some have replicated to the other assets, others have disappeared entirely.

Here is a side by side of the Core (which I created the attributes on) and an example of correct replication:

Capture1.PNG

Here is a side by side of the same machines, with the attributes NOT replicated:

Capture2.PNG

I have performed multiple full syncs, my core reports back "lost contact" after about ~5 minutes

Any attributes I create in 'Software' disappear entirely.

I have ran DBRepair with the Inventory Service stopped, and recreated the attributes.

Interestingly enough, after running DBrepair, it is only showing some of the attribute trees:

Capture3.PNG

Is my DB hosed? Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Some custom attributes in inventory not replicating/disappearing
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

OK so ... (this will be a bit longer).

This is essentially a headache you've (unwittingly) caused yourself by using "unmodelled custom data" (this isn't something you've done "wrong" as such, don't worry). What "unmodelled" means is "it's custom data which we don't have a specific table designed for it to go into".

That kind of unmodelled data DOES come with a few specific headaches - such as it not being really replicateable.

The GOOD news are as follows:

• Neither you nor your DB are hosed. Pretty much everything is fixable.
          • DBRepair "only" detects / shows-up data which is unmodelled, so based on what you're describing, that seems consistent & in-line with expectations.
          • The "solution" to using custom data which can be rolled up is using MODELLED custom data (i.e. "stuff which has proper DB-tables designed for it".

... so that last bit is also a "good news / not-great news". The good news is that I happen to have documented the process (in quite some detail) about HOW to model DB -tables (with examples, walkting through alot of minutae, and various exercises & solutions) which I presented at Interchange in Dallas earlier this year.

The "not so good news" is that I'm still waiting for the white paper & such being completely reviewed (it's 140+ pages long, and it's getting QUITE in depth, so I don't exactly have issues with it taking longer to go through). The problem with that is that I can't have the info published (incidentally, I *do* go through migrating from unmodelled to modelled data too).

So - how to solve this. If you're willing to take the plunge, how could I get this paper best to you.

I would suggest the following:

• Open a case with support (it's not "really" a support case, but I can't really up-load unreviewed, un-accepted white paper for obvious reasons) and point them at this thread.
          • Ask the support tech to get in touch with me (internally), and I'll throw them the materials (current version of the document & example files, labs + exercises, etc) - on the understanding that this is an "as is" material. I'll keep an eye out for such a mail (it'll be about 8 MB of files all in all)
          • ... you can then go & properly model your data (on both Core & rollup) and be able to actually roll it up too (as well as making it persistent, so it doesn't go "poof") .

Does that sound reasonable / make sense?

• 2. Re: Some custom attributes in inventory not replicating/disappearing
            COLRmastenbrook Rookie

Yes, thank you!

I have opened a support case, and will relay that information.

• 3. Re: Some custom attributes in inventory not replicating/disappearing
              COLRmastenbrook Rookie

So, the answer turned out being that I had created the attributes incorrectly. (within the inventory) I worked with support to cleanup the remnants and create the attributes using Barcode Web Group. Outlined here: https://help.landesk.com/Help/download/data/ldms/96/LDDA96Users.pdf

I would still be interested in your white paper, is there some way you can message me directly to organize transfer?

• 4. Re: Some custom attributes in inventory not replicating/disappearing
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

Yeah - go through the support guys (I can swing it to them internally - it'll be about 10 MB of stuff) and they can get it to you ... I can't post it openly until it's approved, and it's a fair bit of stuff to go through (just shy of 150 pages at present) ... but yeah, if you get "your support guy/gal" to poke me internally, I've no issues in swinging you the draft version via them (not intended for re-distribution either, at this point, please).

That way you can get the info you want easily enough (as "it all exists"), until it's ready to be public ... at which point, it'll be available under this link -- HOW TO: Creating / modelling your own custom DB-tables -- (inaccessible at present, as it's not released / published).