2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2018 10:05 AM by CMulca

New Computers - CSVImport - MAC Address

CMulca Rookie

Note: We don't want to manually create baremetal devices nor PXE and manually authenticate/select the template etc.

So I have thoroughly read over the CSV Import process here:

https://community.ivanti.com/docs/DOC-23532#jive_content_id_Step_1__Create_a_template_file

From my understanding it should work like this:

Create template  > csv file > use CSVImport > move mini-scan files to "ldscan" directory > Endpoint scans them in into inventory

However, this article says the NIC-Address is mandatory and the examples show this as an IP which I will not have when unboxing PCs.

I should be able to get a list of MAC addresses from my Vendor though. So my question is - will I be able to use the MAC in place of the "NIC - Address" (IP) ? My goal is to pull a new PC out of the box > PXE boot > and walk away.

• 1. Re: New Computers - CSVImport - MAC Address
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

So there's a "yes and no" here.

"Yes" - a MAC-address *is* required, *IF* you expect to provision those devices (i.e. "PXE pre-targeting" ... that's the "when this device is hooked up to the network, it automatcally starts pulling down its intended image).

"No" - you do *NOT* need a MAC-address for "just creating a device entry" (though it WOULD be very helpful), strictly speaking.

Talk to your hardware vendor - getting a list of MAC-addresses for kit you're getting from them has been a pretty common request for the last 20+ years, and really shouldn't be an outlandish ask.

So depending on what you're trying to do you "can" hack your way past without a MAC-address (or a serial number or "something"), but it REALLY helps having an attribute that we can marry the hardware to.

[Edit:]

Hmm - actually, you're talking about the NIC / IP-address. That's REALLY not something we care about for a CSV-imported record. That gets updated with "what the client picks up". So no - that's not a bare necessity. However, the "NIC-address" that we're after is the MAC-address. Looks like it's just the choice of name that is confusing. It's the MAC, not the IP here .

Here's an example of a minimum viable scan-file for import (more info is better):

Device Name =HELLESPOINT

Network - NIC Address =000C293E78FC

• 2. Re: New Computers - CSVImport - MAC Address
            CMulca Rookie

Seems like the article I read is a bit off (there are a few things I thought were odd) . I will approach this using the MAC as the Data Value for "NIC - Address" - as I thought that made more sense. Thanks for your reply!