5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2009 8:41 AM by phoffmann

Excluding registry keys from an inventory scan

Rookie

We have software installed on some clients.  HMRC Employers CDROM 2009.  I have excluded the directories via the ldappl3.template and make the new ini available to the clients.  What is happening is the scan is still finding the install via the registry.  Its in the HKLM and had minimal data in the key.  The inventory scanner is finding this data and adding it to the LMDB but as there ins't much data it is adding corruption by adding strange characters to the install date.  That information is not provided in the key.

What I what to do is to program the inventory scanner to just bypass the key, the key in question is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Name of your company\HMRC Employer CD-ROM 2009

• 1. Re: Excluding registry keys from an inventory scan
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

There's no way to tell it to ignore that specifically (as the software scan will trawl through most of the registry anyway). What you could do I suppose is to lock it down and just remove permissions to read this registry branch ... but that may cause problems with the software.

If the problem is with the values the software writes, it might be worth while contacting the vendor - they might not be aware of the problems it causes, if they use non-standard characters.

Alternatively, if the characters "are standard" (and any printable characters should be), then this is more likely to be a problem on our side, and you can just open a case with LANDesk support (ideally providing us the software, so we can dupe this locally), and go from there.

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Excluding registry keys from an inventory scan
            Rookie

There is no imformation in the registry key apart from the file location and the version i.e.

HRMC.bmp

There seems to be a problem with LDMS requiring  the install date even tho it isn't reporting in the registry.

The screen shots show the corrupted data in the DB and the registry key information.

• 3. Re: Excluding registry keys from an inventory scan

Interesting.

Do me a favour, and run an inventory scan with the following (additional) command-line switches:

""

/F /SYNC /SAE /PD /O=c:\output.txt

""

This will create a scan-file you can open in notepad, and check whether the data is "bad" in the scan-file at this point. If it is, we should be able to duplicate this problem here with the software, so opening a case + giving us access to the software causing this problem should allow us to look at this and see if we can fix the problem from our side potentially.

- Paul Hoffmann

• 4. Re: Excluding registry keys from an inventory scan
                Rookie

Please find the output file attached.

I'll get a copy of the software and raise a case on this.

Message was edited by: Paul Hoffmann

• 5. Re: Excluding registry keys from an inventory scan

Yep - the data is in the scan-file - so it's not "corruption" as such, the Database simply (correctly) reflects the garbage that we collect. So it's looking like it's us that's originating it (but, the good news is, it's not corruption - it's just a bit of garbage that the DB displays "correctly" as handed by the inventory scan).

Definitively a matter to open a case and give us the software. Should - hopefully - be a straight forward duplication...

NOTE --- I've edited your post, removing the scan-file from it, just in case there's something in it (network information or whatnot) that shouldn't get into other people's hands.

- Paul Hoffmann