8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2009 5:54 PM by Jared Barneck

Renaming LD Server, what should I expect?

Rookie

I've been ordered to rename the LANDesk server to adhere to our corporate naming convention.  What possible issues do you think I'm going to run into?

• 1. Re: Renaming LD Server, what should I expect?
          egarlepp Employee

My suggestion is to uninstall LD software and IIS and then perform the rename as the name change can and will cause issues from authentication issues to .NET issues to some functionality issues with authentication wihtin the product.  BTW, it is not supported by landesk.

• 3. Re: Renaming LD Server, what should I expect?
            Employee

EGarlepp's link is exactly right.  If you rename the core server you can expect to rebuild the core server (starting with a fresh install of the OS).

• 4. Re: Renaming LD Server, what should I expect?
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

I've written also specifically in my post about things that SHOULD and things that should NOT be done to a Core here:

- http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-3326

If you want to rename a Core, it'll be better (for everyone concerned) to just format it and start with a clean OS. Trust us - anything else is simply not worth the tears and the time wasted.

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 5. Re: Renaming LD Server, what should I expect?
                Rookie

I appreciate the help guys, trust me this is not my choice, I was given a direct order by the director because I didn't follow his naming convention.

Before I proceed with formatting, can anyone here give me a real life example why a LANDesk server or any in fact and server shouldn't be name starting with a number?  I'm from a strong Microsoft backup and have always followed their naming convention standards which doesn't include using digits in the first part of the name.

• 6. Re: Renaming LD Server, what should I expect?
                  phoffmann SupportEmployee

That one I can't give much on - I've never seen a server in the field that began with a number.

If Microsoft advise against it, I wouldn't go near that approach with a barge pole (if Microsoft already make noises about something being "not recommended" there's usually quite a bit of nasty associated with it, in my experience).

LDMS wouldn't particularly care I'd imagine - the stuff that would break would be OS-based (which includes IIS). Not that this is any better than something breaking for any other reasons.

So - I'd throw the Microsoft statement at him, and have him put his name on a statement that if something - anything - goes bad as a result, it's on his head. Ought to make him think it over at least. And if not, you're covered (though that's usually less preferrable than preventing something nasty happening in the first place).

Sorry - that's about as much as I can give. I admit, really, I've never seen a server in a live environment - not once - that began with numerics...

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 7. Re: Renaming LD Server, what should I expect?
                    egarlepp Employee

I have to agree with Paul, i have never seen a server starting with a numeral, not to say it wouldn't work though.  I have seen workstations and they work just fine.  It would probably be fine, but not sure you want to take a chance.  Also, if an when possible, as mentioned above rebuild.  ;-)

• 8. Re: Renaming LD Server, what should I expect?
                      Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

Fight this.

You have a working stable Core Server, no policy is important enough to jeopardize that.

There are many different types of services and appliances that cannot be renamed.  It is very, very common that servers cannot be renamed.

Just send your bosses the article that was posted and tell them it cannot be renamed.

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2677

Tell your bosses they will have to make an exception for this device until such time as you re-install or move to different hardware.  Don't jeopardize a good install and don't rebuild for a policy.

I am saying to push back and deman an exception be made.