2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2018 10:11 AM by phoffmann

Powershell script does not run as task, will run manually

edchap13 Rookie

Hello All,

I am having trouble with a simple one liner which I am trying to push to newly imaged machines in my environment.

The script works perfectly when run locally on the machines, however the distribution package/scheduled task refused to work. 

I've written the script as:

Remove-itemproperty -path HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run -name SecurityHealth

The install options have the execution policy set, just as I do for all other working powershell scripts.

Set-ExecutionPolicy -ExecutionPolicy Bypass

I've tried local System account (which works for my other scripts just fine) and also as my Domain admin account.

Yet when I run the scheduled task on a machine, it gives me a return code of 0. Check the machine and the registry key is still there.

So I try another way:

REG delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run /v SecurityHealth /f

Same as above, it works perfectly when run locally on the machine, but as a task, it returns code 1 (success apparently) and the registry remains unchanged on the machine.

This is driving me crazy as I cannot open up every machine to change this registry key manually. I have attached the policytaskhandler.exe.log if that helps