5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2009 7:08 AM by spike

How many items can be included in a custom data form

Rookie

My manager wants to collect data from our devices, wants zero free text in them.  Some items he wants to collect are the room number the device is in, the cost center the device belongs to, and building, floor, etc.  Is there a limit to how much data a custom form can handle?  Yesterday, I put in the cost centers (238 of them) and started to put in some of the room numbers (1,000 out of 6,000).  I saved it, went back in to preview, checked my cost center, then went to the room number, where it locked up and then closed LANDesk.  After that when I opened it back up, it said the form was corrupt and asked if I still wanted to try to open it.  I said yes, then when it opened, none of the rooms were there.   I am guessing this is too much data for a custom data form to handle.  Anyone else have an idea?

• 1. Re: How many items can be included in a custom data form
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Never encountered a maximum.

Bear in mind that you can use page breaks for having another page of data to be filled in, and more than 8 items per page usualy swamps the screen a bit too much.

As for the data, that just gets saved into the LDCUSTOM.DAT file, and that file gets appended to the scan-file ... so it's not a big effort for us here, nor is it for the inventory service, since the scan-file itself is already likely to be a LOT bigger than what you are likely to collect.

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: How many items can be included in a custom data form
            Rookie

Is there an easier way to enter the data then then copy and paste?  took me 2 hours to do 1,000 items, I need to do 6,000 of them, don't want to spend a day doing it.

• 3. Re: How many items can be included in a custom data form
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

What exactly are you trying to add? 1,000 lines of data per client seems a bit excessive - is this data you can actually manage and determine up-front?

Could you give a generic example of the sort of things you want to add to a client?

If it's just a single file you could generate on each client, it might be pretty simple (and you wouldn't need to use custom data forms at all) - assuming this stuff can be pre-generated automatically. Conceptually, you could just run a batch file or script then on each client to create a "custom data" file for this client.

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 4. Re: How many items can be included in a custom data form
                Rookie

my manager wants to collect the room number the device is in, the cost center that purchased the pc, etc.  He wants no free-texting in the form, wants it all in a drop down format where they have to choose the room number form a list.  We are a larger organization spread across multiple buildings, where there is a possiblity of about 6,000 rooms where there can be a computer.  The custom data form I have asks like 6 questions, a drop down for each, 4 of the drop downs have like 6 items, the cost center has 238 options, then the room drop down will have 6,000.  The data could be collected when the pc is placed, however he wants to go back through everything that is existing and has a volunteer that is willing to do that.

• 5. Re: How many items can be included in a custom data form
                  Employee

I ran through the following test a while ago...

Create a Custom Data Form that includes a question for "Cost Centre"
                  enter a couple of possible entries. this is the standard manual process for entering an option list and is frnakly a pain for more than a few options.

Save the Custom Data Form.

You shoould find a recently created FRM file in LDLOGON.
                  open this file with a text editor.  You should see the following line within the definition for the form:
                  Field1=LISTBOX, <fieldname>, <questiontext>, R, {value1, value2, value3}

To add possible values you can take a CSV file listing the cost-codes and copy the values from a csv file into the space between the {curly brackets}

In my test I created the values in excel (autofiling along one row), saved as a csv and then copied the values over to the FRM file.  I didn't have 6000 entries in my drop down though.  I think I had a few hundred.