9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2009 5:55 AM by SCP

Office 2007 Deployment - Task showing failed even though successful

Rookie

I have followed the Office 2007 deployment doc - http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2126

However, when a machine does successfully install Office 2007 using this method the machines will actually appeard in the Failed section.  I dont have the exact error message, but it basically says "Install succesull, reboot needed".  How can I get these successul installs to show as Successful?

• 1. Re: Office 2007 Deployment - Task showing failed even though successful
          Employee

Hi Shane,

What version of LANDesk are you using?

The problem lies in the fact that there is a non-zero exit code being used.  Traditionally exit code 0 means success, and anything else means unsuccessful.  That is how LANDesk reads error codes.  Unfortunately it is becoming less and less common to do it that way.  In 9.0 (due out later this year) the option will be there to set up non-zero exit codes to be mapped as successful.

In the meantime you can easily use a batch file deployment to catch the nonzero exit code you want to be treated as successful and change it to exit code zero.  Here's a sample batch file that will do that.

<Name of Executable to be run> <Command line parameters needed>

if "%errorlevel%"="<Exit code you are checking for>" exit /b 0

For example, if you want to have exit code 3010 (reboot required) be treated as successful, and you are running setup.exe with a command line option of /s then the batch file would look like this:

setup.exe /s

if "%errorlevel%"="3010" exit /b 0

To find the exit code you are getting you can look at the bottom of your software distribution task log file.  If you want to check more than one nonzero exit code you can simply copy and paste the bottom line and replace 3010 with the next exit code you want to check for.

Let me know if this helps!

• 2. Re: Office 2007 Deployment - Task showing failed even though successful
            Rookie

Thanks for the thorough explanation.  We have run into this non 0 exit code when rolling out SEP11.  I will create the batch file tommorow morning and let you know the result.

Looking in the LDLOG, looks like the reboot required code is exitcode -2147023255

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Office 2007 Deployment - Task showing failed even though successful
              Employee

There are a few error codes that get reported.  That number is not the one that needs to go in the batch file, because it is a LANDesk specific code.  After it there should be a 0x8something code, then another 4 or 5 digit code.  That 4 or 5 digit code is the one you want.

• 4. Re: Office 2007 Deployment - Task showing failed even though successful
                Rookie

Here is some info from my LDLOG:

Mon, 27 Jul 2009 00:47:40 XXXXXXX remote execution complete, result 0, exitcode -2147023255
                Mon, 27 Jul 2009 00:47:40 XXXXXXX, getting client log file
                Mon, 27 Jul 2009 00:47:41 XXXXXXX, getting client log file
                Mon, 27 Jul 2009 00:47:41 Thread has completed processing, 0 active threads remaining
                Mon, 27 Jul 2009 00:47:41 The Machine Node Queue is now empty
                Mon, 27 Jul 2009 00:47:41 Shutting down thread pool
                Mon, 27 Jul 2009 00:47:41 The Machine Node Queue is now empty
                Mon, 27 Jul 2009 00:47:41 Thread pool shutdown
                Mon, 27 Jul 2009 00:47:41 Task complete, status 8
                7/27/2009 12:47:46 AM :          929 : RALAPPLND01 has completed task with status 5 (Delegated task complete.)
                7/27/2009 12:47:46 AM :          929 : Proxy work thread for core RALAPPLND01 is complete.
                7/27/2009 12:47:46 AM :          929 : Thread is complete, synchronizing status information.
                7/27/2009 12:47:46 AM : Warning: No link entries were returned.  No tasks will be synchronized
                7/27/2009 12:47:46 AM : Warning: No link entries were returned.  No tasks will be synchronized
                7/27/2009 12:47:46 AM :          929 : Remote operations complete, synchronizing status information.
                7/27/2009 12:47:46 AM :          929 : Task complete, returning status 7

Would I use the "5" as the exit code or "7"(last line of the log)?

• 5. Re: Office 2007 Deployment - Task showing failed even though successful
                  Employee

That appears to be the log from the Core server.  I thought it would contain the information, but it actually makes sense that it doesn't, since it is more concerned with the result from a percentage of overall devices viewpoint, not the details of why it failed.

Try looking at the log on a client device.  Here's a sample of what a log would look like:

Thu, 16 Jul 2009 11:28:05 processing of package is complete, result -1917845363 (0x8db0008d - code 141)

Again it looks like I slightly misled you (that's what I get for trying to shoot from the hip on little sleep).  The exit code that we want from that line is 141, so it's not 4 or 5 digits, it's 3.

That log should be find on the client machine under the %programfiles%\LANDesk\LDClient\data and should be called sdclient_taskX.log where X = the task ID number.

• 6. Re: Office 2007 Deployment - Task showing failed even though successful
                    Rookie

Not mis-leading at all.  I should have used my brain a little instead of just assuming something was wrong.  Found the code on the client, tweaking a batch file right now!!

• 7. Re: Office 2007 Deployment - Task showing failed even though successful
                      Employee

Glad to hear you found it!  Let me know how it goes.  [-8

• 8. Re: Office 2007 Deployment - Task showing failed even though successful
                        Employee

In case anyone else ever runs across this problem I created an article with the same information and same sample batch file as what is in this string.

The article can be found here:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-6510

• 9. Re: Office 2007 Deployment - Task showing failed even though successful
                          Rookie

That worked!  One last question.  Office 2007 reboots some of our machines during an install.  LANDesk looses connection with them during the reboot. Is there a way to have LANDesk wait until after reboot to get a status?