7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2019 3:39 AM by phoffmann

Provisioning finished email to the deployment user

Thomas_B Rookie

ist there a way to get am email notification after the deployment has finished. The mail should only contact the user which has started the deployment task. i know there are "Alert Rule Sets" but these can only send to the specified users/user.

I could send a final sendmal command but then i need a deployment username variable.

Regards,

Thomas

• 1. Re: Provisioning finished email to the deployment user
          Kayla.Culpepper SupportEmployee

Hello Thomas,

Thanks for posting to the Ivanti Community.

Sorry that it seems no one has the answer to be able to assist you on this yet.  Did you manage to get any further information on this? Please share anything you deem useful and the community may be able to offer some help.

If not then please do consider the other ways to engage with us to get assistance:

https://community.ivanti.com/community/contact-support

Kayla Culpepper

Customer Service Coordinator

Ivanti

• 2. Re: Provisioning finished email to the deployment user
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

Not really an alert as such here.

I'd argue this would be something you'd want / be better off scripting as a powershell script (or some such) and then just executing the script / binary as part of the provisioning package.

That way you can customise things a lot more too as needed.

• 3. Re: Provisioning finished email to the deployment user
              Thomas_B Rookie

"I could send a final sendmal command but then i need a deployment username variable." yes that was my first thought but without the username of the deployment user, i can´t get to work.

i consider to check the taskid and the corresponding deployment user with a sql query.

• 4. Re: Provisioning finished email to the deployment user

If you hold this piece of data somewhere in inventory, it's something you could pull via the MBSDK and a dynamic query for instance - an example of which is shown in the article detailing the MBSDK here -- Getting Started with the MBSDK (Example Scripts Included) .

So as long as you have either the username (/owner) string (and/or potentially - the full e-mail address as custom data) ... that'd solve that problem, no?

And you can use this for new kit as well, by just populating that data for new devices too (assuming you have an "intended owner" in place). Otherwise, a simple script to either populate that field and/or create a mini scanfile to create that data field in the inventory (inventory files are "just" text files, so it's not hard) when an owner has been assigned.

That way, you'd have a consistent proces flow for instance.

• 5. Re: Provisioning finished email to the deployment user
                  Thomas_B Rookie

I think the problem is that no provisioning user is tracked in the database. Only the user who owns the task. I had published the deployment task for all provisioning users in the public tasks section. The user "public user" is written in the field "task_owner". When i copy the task in my own user task section, my username appears in the owner field and i could use it for my requests.

It would be nice if there where an additional field with the used provisioning user but that would be a feature request. Otherwise i must use a manuel action to provide the provisioning user information in the inventory or public variable section. This info however could change in the next deployment and must be provided with every new deployment. Thanks for all your information and i will use your MBSDK doc for future requests but this was a "nice to have" task an isn´t truly necessary. I thought that it would be an easy task. Request from the database or parsing the Info from a logfile but this information is not tracked.

• 6. Re: Provisioning finished email to the deployment user
                    dwagner1 Apprentice

I've actually done this by using process manager.  Mr. Tom Farrugia was the mastermind behind the coding.

I tied out tech's login with their email account. 

Then set triggers for pass/fail and then emails the user that stated the task with a success email, or failed email.

It's been working great for many years!!

ImageSuccess.png

• 7. Re: Provisioning finished email to the deployment user

Yep - a process automation tool (Process Manager, RES, etc) tends to be the most graceful solution to this sort of thing.