3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2009 3:50 PM by Jason

OSD scripts fail in WinPE but can be run step by step

Let me preface this by saying that this is a fresh install of 8.7 (on a fresh install of Sever 2003) - I've used Landesk for a while now, but I may have missed some configuration step (or either Landesk or Win2003) as I brought up this new instance.

I've followed the advice found here: http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2183

Everything seems to be in order - diskpart does list disk 0 as online and I can ping and map drives on the core server.

I've also read the article that's currently in the "highest rated" in this section which discusses troubleshooting when nothing happens after selecting a script from the PXE Boot Menu, but this issue is not addressed by that article since the script IS attempting to run from the core server.

Essentially what happens is I choose the script (either a capture image or deploy image script) from the PXE boot menu on the target system, the PXE boot menu disappears and nothing happens. On the core server I see the task status window appear for about 1 minute, then it vanishes and the following log entry is generated:

"0024E8A6A09B","OK",0,0:00:00,7/23/2009 5:21:24 PM,7/23/2009 5:21:24 PM,"WINPE, TIMEOUT=1800"
      "0024E8A6A09B","ERR_Fail",-2147481753,0:00:22,7/23/2009 5:21:24 PM,7/23/2009 5:21:46 PM,"diskpart /s X:\LDClient\rmvol.txt"
      ; "Job Complete","0 Done","1 Failed","0 Off","0 Unknown"

As a test I commented out this command (and redeployed the PXE representative) and the same scenario played out except with the next command in the script.

What's strange is that if I open a console and type in each of the script's steps by hand IT ALL WORKS!

This is nice insofar as it's still a dramatic time saver compared to building up every machine by hand, but ultimately my office needs to get normal functionality back.

This problem isn't restricted to one platform - Optiplex 960s and Latitude E6500s both behave the same way. Script steps work when I key them in by hand.

Any tips appreciated. Thanks.