3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2018 7:19 AM by phoffmann

Track non inventory items in Data Analytic

neon88m Rookie

How can I get non inventory items such as iPad or iPhone into Data Analytic?

A User may have more then one item issued, how can I track and report both inventoried and non inventory items by user name?

• 1. Re: Track non inventory items in Data Analytic
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Not entirely sure what you're after here BUT ...

... an inventory scan file is "just a text file" ... the up-shot of which is, you can happily create them yourself to create dummy entries for "stuff you care about" (and by and large you'll just need a consistent unique identifier).

So for example - put the following into a text file & save it as ".SCN" or ".MP" if you've got real-time normalisation rules enabled in LDDA and throw it into the LDSCAN folder on the Core (so -- "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\ldscan\" by default):

Device ID ={SomeUniqueString_Ideally_SID-based_and_Consistent}

Device Name =TheDeviceName

Network - TCPIP - Address =123.123.123.123

Network - TCPIP - Subnet Mask =123.123.123.123

Network - TCPIP - Default Gateway Address =123.123.123.123

Network - TCPIP - Default Gateway MAC Address =00AABBCCDDEE

Network - TCPIP - Host Name =TheDeviceName.DomainName.Suffix

OS - Name =Something Relevant I care about, such as 'Apple OS X'

OS - Version =1.2.3.4

Domain Name =DomainName.DomainSuffix

Qualified Login Name =FANTASIA\AdminBill

Primary Owner =CN=UserName,CN=Users,DC=DomainName,DC=DomainSuffix

... for instance, and "voila" - you have an entry for a device. You can add memory capacity / storage capacity & so on.

Now - we *do* have an agent for Iphone and IPad's out there (the mobile device stuff), which you may be licensed for (you may want to check). So you can put an actual agent down & have it do those things (note - mobile devices will require a physical or a virtual CSA [Cloud Service Appliance] due to the nature of how APNS & such work).

Information on how to enable storing of scans (so you can pick 'em apart yourself) is here -- How to enable the Inventory option Store Scans on the Core Management Console .

So - you can eithe "Properly" manage them with an actual agent, or you can create dummy records & update them semi-regularly with some script, for instance.

Lots of options.

(Though I'd recommend "actually" managing them properly).

• 2. Re: Track non inventory items in Data Analytic
            neon88m Rookie

Thanks for the suggestion, will inserted item added to license count?

• 3. Re: Track non inventory items in Data Analytic
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

Usually that's a conversation for you & your sales rep.

By and large, it can usually be argued that "it doesn't", since it's not really a managed device ... but there's usually some "it depends" type factors in here, so you'll want to check with them.

I would suggest you check (potentially) at the same time whether you may have the licensing module for the mobile client -- as that would make for a much easier life than a static record.