5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2019 2:05 AM by chainarong

How to set default value as the first value in drop down list of request offering

chainarong Apprentice

Hi,

I add 2 drop down list in design request form and get values from pick lists with validation constraints. However, I want to show the first value of the second drop down list as default value if I choose relevant value from the first drop down list. Please suggest how can I do in expression?

Thanks,

Chainarong R.

• 1. Re: How to set default value as the first value in drop down list of request offering
          Jonathan.Schmidt SupportEmployee

Hi Chainarong,

I'm not sure we understand your request well enough to offer any advice.  Can you give us a sample of the data in each list and describe what you want the control to do when changing each field?

Jon

• 2. Re: How to set default value as the first value in drop down list of request offering
            IJU Expert

Hello chainarong,

I think I understand what you want. Since you're in a Request Offering you won't be able to have this functionality. You would need a business rule to fill the second field automatically according to the value of the first field. This is not possible on the forms you design within the request offering. It's a somewhat different story when designing a form within a proper business object which you are going to use for a layout.

One thing is possible though. In each picklist you have the following option:

That would even in the request offering's  form designer allow for a value to automatically appear if only one value can be found according to the pick list's constraints. But that might be just of little help for you I guess

Kind regards

Immanuel Jungheim

Senior Consultant

ITSM Group – Be Better.

www.itsmgroup.com

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to set default value as the first value in drop down list of request offering
              chainarong Apprentice

Hi Jonathan,

Please see the following example to clarify my requirement.

I am working on approval line consisting of two levels approvers (section and department manager) and I already import table of approval as a new approval BO from external system as seen from the following sample data

Customer, Approver, Approver Position Level

UserA, ManagerA, 6

UserA, ManagerB, 7

UserA, ManagerC, 8

The first default approver drop down list can be set to ManagerA in request offering form. My request offering form has the second drop down list for customer to choose approver, so I want the second drop down list to show ManagerB as the second default approver calculated by the lowest position level.

Thanks,

Chainarong R. 

• 4. Re: How to set default value as the first value in drop down list of request offering
                Jonathan.Schmidt SupportEmployee

Would there only be one possible Manager for a user and level?  If so, the suggestion above from Immanuel should work.  You just need to build a validation list that constrains against both other fields from your data.  If you have several selections possible then you might have to build some kind of field on the User records that you can pull in just one value that matches one of the possible values in your second picklist, and then pull that through as a default value.  There's not really any logic in the system that can pick a first value out of a dynamic list based on the previous list's selection.

Jon

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How to set default value as the first value in drop down list of request offering
                  chainarong Apprentice

Thanks Jon. I think my solution is to let end user choose their 2nd approval from pick list.