I'm trying to implement hardware independent imaging within our organization by using Landesk provisioning. Currently this works like a charm, but I'm encountering some problems with sata raid drivers. I cant get computers with raid enabled working properly.
First off some information about my configuration.
Currently we have Landesk version 8.8 with SP3 installed. For my image creation I used a "HP DC7700 Convertible minitower" system with the sata mode in IDE emulation.
The hardware specs of the HP DC7700 are:
Intel Core 2 duo 6300
Intel Q965 express chipset (I think)
Intel ICH8R Raid controller
I have executed the following steps:
- Installed the system with Windows XP SP3 and sata mode in IDE emulation.
- Installed the latest windows updates,configured some windows settings and sysprepped the machine
- created an image with Imagew Version 2.06
- Implemented hardware independant Imaging rev 9.1 by following the attached documentation
- Created and tested the Landesk Provisioning task
This configuration works like a charm. I tested this succesfully on 3 different systems with different hardware, but all three with ide(or sata in IDE emulation) But we also need sata drivers. I configured the DC7700 with a raid setup and started the provisiong task. After deployment of the image, the sysprep file and the other pre-configure tasks the machine reboots to start the mini-setup. The windows XP loading screen pop-ups for a second and the machine reboots again. After this reboot the "windows hasn't closed properly" screen pops-up where you can choose safe mode etc. This screens is then closed after 30 seconds and the system keeps repeating this process. I figured this was logical because there where no sata drivers in place.
To get sata working I tried the following steps:
- Turned the IDE emulation of my DC7700 system off and configured it as raid and created a raid setup (tried 0 and 1)
- Installed Windows XP SP3 (used nlite to merge the sata drivers in the windows installation media)
- After installation I executed msdcaputure. The output of this is attached to this topic (msdcapture.zip)
- Created a MSD folder in the DC7700 driver folder, and placed the output of capturemsd here
- Created a sub-folder "windows" under the msd folder were I placed the cat files.
- Updated the Winpe image with the proper sata drivers
- Started the provisioning task again
After the deployment of the image etc, the machine reboots and starts the mini-setup. The mini-setup now executes all tasks successfully and the machine reboots for the first run of Windows XP. During the booting I get the same problem as described before. The Windows XP loading screen pops-up for one second and the machine reboots again.
I cant figure out what's causing this. The provisioning task works great on other hardware with IDE. The DC700 driver folder is also updated with the proper sata drivers, witch is working because without these the mini-setup doesn't start at all. So far I tried the following:
- Updated the reg file with all the pnp ID's in the inf files
- removed the cat files from the windows folder
- Removed all the pnp drivers to make sure there is no conflict
- removed al the drivers that require a setup to make sure there is no conflict.
Do you guys have some pointers where I can troubleshoot next?
Thanks in advance!
I attached the following files.
The HP drivers
The edited hp drivers(reg file)
My provisiong template