12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2018 9:36 AM by ldms_4mfe

Portal Manager - Remove applications already installed

Stefano_ Apprentice

Hello,

we use the portal manager for installing applications to users.

Is it possible, in case the application was already present on the user's client, display the remove button instead of install?

Many thanks

Stefano

• 1. Re: Portal Manager - Remove applications already installed
          Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

If you use a pre-requisite query in the package or as a target, excluding devices with the software already installed, the icon won't show up in the Portal.

Frank

• 2. Re: Portal Manager - Remove applications already installed
            Stefano_ Apprentice

hi,

thanks. yes i know, but i want give the possibility to the user to remove software already installed with the remove button. Is that possibile?

• 3. Re: Portal Manager - Remove applications already installed
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

You could define / create an "uninstall" package ...?

If the package wasn't installed via EPM (which - reading between the lines - I suspect to be the case), things are a bit trickier to remove, so something like an Uninstaller package (IF and ONLY IF you detect "software X" to be installed as a precondition, for instance) would be one way to do it.

A bit more information / context as to what the fuller story / problem is could help potentially.

• 4. Re: Portal Manager - Remove applications already installed
                Stefano_ Apprentice

for example:

Firefox is already installed to the client, i would like that the user that go to the portal manager will see available the Firefox uninstall package ( show with the Firefox icon with remove button ).

The user that do not have already installed Firefox, go to the portal manger and will see the package Firefox with install button.

Is that possibile?

• 5. Re: Portal Manager - Remove applications already installed

Right - gotcha.

So ... yes, it would be, but not necessarily "in real time", and in a round-about way.

So the way to do it would be to create 2 packages (one installer, one uninstaller) for everything you want to (un-)install.

Then create 2 queries ...

• One where you search for devices that DO NOT have your package (i.e. pseudo code of "Software - Application - Name != FireFox").
                  • One where you search for device that DO have said package (i.e. pseudo code of "Software - Application - Name = FireFox").
                    • You may want to add additional filters, such as "OS Must be WIndows" or so, to ensure you don't try to deploy a Windows Package to a MAC or so for example .
                  • ... you then target one policy (with the INSTALLER package) against the query where devices DO NOT have Firefox (or whatever) installed.
                  • ... and you target another policy (with the UN-INSTALLER) against the query where devices *DO* have Firefox (or whatever installed).
                  • Now - queries tend to get resolved (by default) about 1x every 2 hours ... and this will rely on devices having sent in updated inventory information. So this isn't going to be real-time. And you're going to need to "install" an un-installer package ... which might be a end-user training thing.

... but that'd allow you to handle your scenario. Does that help / make sense?
                  • 6. Re: Portal Manager - Remove applications already installed
                    Stefano_ Apprentice

thanks for your support.

This yes, make sense, but i need in real time ( max every 10 minutes ) and, very important, i need that if the software is missing the button will be Install.

If the software is already installed, the button should be Remove.

Is that possible?

• 7. Re: Portal Manager - Remove applications already installed

"Theoretically" ... it COULD be configured for that, but I'd really advise against that.

Here's why:

• It would mean that the queries would need to be re-resolved every 10 minutes. While possible, it's potentially QUITE risky.
                        • ... and that would mean ALL of your queries would need to be re-resolved every 10 minutes. If you have a small Core, that's "fine", but if you run a bunch of queries, you will need more than 10 minutes to resolve all of them. And that'd mean you'd be re-starting the re-resolution of queries before we've finished going through all of them.

• On top of that, it would require your clients to send up-to-date inventory information when things change ... that likely means that your Core is going to get under a fair bit of pressure especially under any kind of "busy I/O" times (such as the log-on waves), where you're likely to have a backlog of scans to process.

• ... you COULD have a super beefy Core ... which, if it doesn't get any backlogs to contend with, it'd be doable. But if your organisation was to grow, hitting that "10 minutes of maximum grace on anything" can end up hobbling you quite a bit (especially during things such as DB backups or DB maintenance, and other "busy" periods).

... but I would be VERY suspicious initially on why this would need a 10 minute "window" as it were, let alone be a "frequent" occurrence. What kind of end users are going to constantly install & un-install software? This is why I was asking for context ... this isn't "normal" end-user behaviour (who by and large just want to have "thing X" installed, and job's a good one).

So it's pretty evident that there's more to this story ... so please, enlighten us.

• 8. Re: Portal Manager - Remove applications already installed
                        Stefano_ Apprentice

yeah, that's right.

All users should be that, but my core will be crash in one day.

So, i will find another way, thank you very much for your support

• 9. Re: Portal Manager - Remove applications already installed

Might it not be easier then (not to mention - LIGHTER on the Core) to just train your users & offer both - an INSTALL and an UNINSTALL package for a package at all times (and just script some simple detection / handling logic to deal with cases where people try to uninstall something that isn't installed, for instance) ?

• 10. Re: Portal Manager - Remove applications already installed
                            ldms_4mfe Apprentice

I am with Stefano_

EPM Portal Manager is here far beyond its possibilities and its time.

You do not understand/belive what I mean?

Here are some examples of AppStores / Portal Manager that offer exact what

SCCM:

Install, Status, Uninstall in one App

Adobe Creative Cloud:

Open, Install, Update, Uninstall in one App- GREAT!

apps_1_.PNG?X-Amz-Algorithm=AWS4-HMAC-SHA256&X-Amz-Credential=AKIAJF4UXUF6KJMEJFQQ%2F20181219%2Fus-east-1%2Fs3%2Faws4_request&X-Amz-Date=20181219T224514Z&X-Amz-Expires=60&X-Amz-SignedHeaders=host&X-Amz-Signature=137dd3684a4b55c59d6f9a6c323f30ab47d9526cb66cbaacd5c1cdc132950c40

Play Store:

Open, Install, Update, Uninstall in one App- GREAT!

106.jpg

I also opened a feature Request long time ago:

https://ivanticore.uservoice.com/forums/904675-endpoint-manager/suggestions/32156803-patch-manager-enduser-interface-gui

• 11. Re: Portal Manager - Remove applications already installed
                              Stefano_ Apprentice

ok, so is not possible make this things also with the portal manager?

• 12. Re: Portal Manager - Remove applications already installed
                                ldms_4mfe Apprentice

No, unfortunately, no one has thought of this now standard feature, when creating the new portal manager for 2017/2018.