1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 17, 2019 4:29 AM by phoffmann

Unmanaged devices not show device name

JiraT Rookie

Hello,

I have a problem with discovery unmanaged device it does not show device name although I scan with IP OS fingerprinting.

for example in subnet have 140 devices but Ivanti can get device name only 4 devices.

and when I try to install agent to a device that does not have a device name. the result is failed.

So, How can I get the device name? or how about another parameter that relates the unmanaged discovery?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Unmanaged devices not show device name
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

So - a lot of this comes down to "how locked down the devices are".

The IP-fingerprinting stuff (using NMAP) is essentially a rather sophisticated port/ping-sweep ... and based on the responses, an identification of things (such as the OS) and such is made.

Device Name can be a thing that is attempted to be resolved via DNS (for instance, that's how XDD attempts to check "hey - who does this IP I just saw belog to" ...).

So depending on how locked down things are, you will get different quality / level of results.

If needed (/for your own sanity), I can dig up some info on how you can see the detailed logs of what info we're pulling from a device if that's of any worth.

----------

Installing the agent (via RPC push) - by the way is usually the last way to try & deploy an agent. For one, it's strictly unicast (so 1:1 connection to EACH device), for another there's no peer-download or anything like that. It's the "oldest" (and sometimes "last straw") method to

Using an Advanced Agent (ideally via GPO) tends to be MUCH easier & better (as that makes use of peer download, byte-level checkpoint restart & so on) is a much better way to get it done.

Now - PUSH-based deployments run into similar issues ... if a device is locked down / firewalled up tight, we're not going to be able to either connect to it (remember - RPC (Remote Procedure Call) still requires you to connect to a port & authenticate) ... and/or it could be simply a case that the credentials you have for the scheduler service (/alternate credentials) won't work for those boxes.

It'll give you something to look at - at least.

A few links for you to help you out:

Hope that helps you a bit .