4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2009 3:08 PM by dmshimself

rebuild

Rookie

I have run a number of manual Active Knowledge rebuilds and each one takes approx 2hrs 15 mins and produces

a builder report of 9.7Mb + . Is this right ?

Also when I set the build settings to run a rebuild at a specific time each day the job does not appear in queue

entries plus there are no builder reports but when I check build settings the next day the date of the next build

has moved on by a day ??  Does anyone know how to set up rebuilds to run every day ?

The version we are using is Touchpaper console 7.2.5.1633 and TPS version 7.2.5.1335

thanks

Kevin

• 1. Re: rebuild
          dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

It can take a while depending on which objects you have selected to make knowleable, but once it has caught up, it should be quite a bit quicker.  I'd be checking the event log and turning knowledge diagnostics on to see if the job is ever actually completing correctly and completely.  I am sure there will be some articles here on diagnosing AK issues.

The service which fires off the regular rebuild needs to be running to make the job you have created in the Knowledge Admin actually gets pushed into the queue to run.  It is the Touchpaper Knowledge Base Service and is the first of the two knowledge services installed.  If it isn't running or isn't installed, you will get the effect you have described.

• 2. Re: rebuild
            Rookie

David

Rebuild runtime

I have done a number of rebuilds, each time making different object knowledgable

For example I made Incident and task incident within Incident Management knowledgeable

And then ran a rebuild and then I made call and task call within call management knowledgable

And then ran a rebuild and it took 2 1/4 hrs to run the rebuild. Also after setting all the

Knowledgable objects required to knowledgable (see attached document) every time I run a rebuild

It still takes 2 1/4 hrs producing a 9.7Mb build report.

I can switch on diagnostics but what indicates a rebuild is successful ?

Scheduling rebuild

Also When I schedule a rebuild via building settings for every weekday  the Touchpaper Knowledge Base Service

Is installed and running. ITBM takes the update and rolls the date forward for the next rebuild but there is no record of a rebuild in the queue entries and no builder report in x:\windows\temp for the scheduled time

(see attached file for setting job)

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin Saunders

Application Support Team Leader

Development, Technical and Support Services

ICT Services

Tameside MBC

Council Offices

Wellington Road

Ashton under Lyne

OL6 6DL

0161 342 2315 (Direct)

07762120196   (Mobile)

0161 342 2212 (Fax)

"Committed to Service Excellence"

Email Disclaimer is

<http://www.tameside.gov.uk/emdis.htm

• 3. Re: rebuild
              Rookie

David

Regards the rebuilds they are now taking approx 50 minutes but the rebuild reports although

Are smaller they are still on average 4.8Mb in size so I can't view them through the console.

Do you know how I can view the reports via the console ?

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin Saunders

Application Support Team Leader

Development, Technical and Support Services

ICT Services

Tameside MBC

Council Offices

Wellington Road

Ashton under Lyne

OL6 6DL

0161 342 2315 (Direct)

07762120196   (Mobile)

0161 342 2212 (Fax)

"Committed to Service Excellence"

Email Disclaimer is

<http://www.tameside.gov.uk/emdis.htm

• 4. Re: rebuild
                dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

Hi Kevin - I'd take a look through the very excellent guide Karen Peacock wrote in http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-4375

This explains how to turn tracing on in the AK config file and looking through the resulting application event log for potential causes of general issues.  Your numbers are not too extreeme, but when you change an object to become knowlable (or not), you do tend to see a high load on the next rebuild.  So from personal experience the steps I'd tend to take are (as an outline)

1. Stop all the Knowledge Services

2. Delete any outstanding knowledge jobs from the queue in the database

3. Delete the verity setting from the database that says which is the verity server

4. Delete all the verity collections and make sure the PIEs have gone too from the verity dashboard

5. Make sure the cols folder is clean and has no TPS collections.

6. Start up the Knowledge Builder service and let that finish completely

7. Set up trace and kick off a manual rebuild, check the results. Turn tracing off again and restart service

That should get you to a clean state with an event log that is either clean or with problems you can try to track down.

But probably the best advice is the first one, read and apply Karens document.  That's the way I have sorted out any knowledge issues on site.  If it fails to work, then you need to call your support contact I think.