7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2009 6:22 AM by ahe

Office 2003 package using mst file

Rookie

Hi

I have been trying to create an Office 2003 package using http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2161. I have created the task but it fails with fatal error. I tried to manually run the mst file on the PC and got an error, "Please got to control panel to install adn configure system components". Any body any ideas?

• 1. Re: Office 2003 package using mst file
          ahe Expert

Hello,

could you show us your command line and could you give us more hints about your used systems (core version, client OS, ...)

Do you know this page: http://www.appdeploy.com/packages/detail.asp?id=211

Do you use the Custom Installation Wizard for Office 2003 or do you use the Office Customization Tool (OCT)? OCT is for Office 2007 only.

Office 2003 Resource Kit Home

http://blogs.technet.com/office_resource_kit/archive/2008/09/05/quick-tips-for-the-office-customization-tool-oct.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B927470&x=13&y=16

Regards

Axel

• 2. Re: Office 2003 package using mst file
            Rookie

Core version 8.8 SP2, client XP SP2. Used Custom Installation Wizard from ORK. Command line used TRANSFORMS=Office2003.mst. Ran this locally on the PC setup.exe TRANSFORMS="\\<servername>\deployments$\Office 2003\Office2003.MST" to discover the error. Also attached the error log from the scheduled task.

I had a look through those sites but point towards the Office Customization Tool, searches only revieved only one other instance of this error but no solution to problem.

• 3. Re: Office 2003 package using mst file
              ahe Expert

Hello,

what's happen if you change the path from

\\VHS23MBLAN01\deployments$\Office 2003\

to

\\VHS23MBLAN01\deployments$\Office_2003\

Are you sure you've a volume license of Office 2003?

s. here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ork2003/HA011401931033.aspx

"Only editions of Office 2003 acquired through a Volume License agreement or other non-retail channel allow you to create an administrative installation point. You cannot run Setup.exe in administrative mode (/a) with an Office 2003 retail edition."

and here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826868/en-us

"The Microsoft Office 2003 Resource Kit tools have been             primarily designed to serve the deployment scenarios that are found in             organizations by using volume licensing programs. Microsoft Office 2003             Resource Kit tools, such as the Custom Installation Wizard, cannot be used with             a 2003 retail edition of Microsoft Office, and you cannot run Setup in             administrative mode to create an administrative installation point with retail             packaged products."

Did you check the MSIxxxx.log files in your client Temp directory? It seems the MSI is tried to start, but than failed. In the MSI logs you can see what's happen.

Regards

Axel

• 4. Re: Office 2003 package using mst file
                Rookie

Hi

Still same issue. In fact I recreated the location to have no space and reset the task but still no joy. Key is a volume licence so that is not the issue, according to the ORK file it will not accept it if it is not a volume licence anyway. No MSI log is being created on the client that I can see.

• 5. Re: Office 2003 package using mst file
                  ahe Expert

Hi,

as I understand right, if you start your installation manually on command line it didn't work too?

As I start this line:

%temp%\02k3\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=%temp%\02k3\my_inst.mst /qb-

it works for me, but in the directory %temp%\02k3\ there must exist the files OWC11.MSI and PRO11.MSI and the directory FILES with subfolders and several additional files from your admin installation point... otherwise it won't work.

Regards

Axel

• 6. Re: Office 2003 package using mst file
                    Rookie

Hi

I have added all the installation files as additional files but now get fata error during installation. I have created an exe using the package builder as this only sends over 100mg file whereas the msi file is over 150mg. Thanks for the help anyway.

• 7. Re: Office 2003 package using mst file
                      ahe Expert

Hello

Did you create a administrative setup of your Office 2003 in a directory (on network or locally doesn't matter)?

Did you create a MST file from the MSI (PRO11.MSI) in your administrative setup?

Did you add the whole directory in your Packagebuilder package and start the installation command line via batch or as command in the package?

copy the whole directory with all files in the package works for example in this way:

FILE: "$WINTEMPDIR$\O2K3MUI\*.*", From="D:\Sources\O2K3MUI\"

start a included batch from the directory:

RUNATMIDDLE: "$WINTEMPDIR$\O2K3MUI\O2K3_MUL_INST.cmd"

This is the line I used in the batch O2K3_MUL_INST.cmd:

%temp%\o2k3mui\setup.exe TRANSFORMS=%temp%\o2k3mui\o2k3pro.mst /qb-

In the meantime I prefer AutoIT (instead of LD Packagebuilder) to create packages and start installations in combination with 7zip...

Regards

Axel