6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2019 8:39 AM by John Neighbors

Automated processes for multiple data sets

LHurse Apprentice

I've been working with Automated Processes for many years and never came upon this question or thought about it until now.

I have a customer with 4 individual contact sets.  They all use a 5th contact set as the one to share the GoldMine tables.

We have an extensive Automated Process that is supposed to run on each data set minimally daily, preferred 2 or 3 times per day.

I have the Server Agent setup to run on one server.  This is the server where the customer has given me access to use for the creation of auto processes, MM reports, modifying the Lookup.ini, etc.  If I have to change data sets, I will hit the Start Server Agent button to run it for that dataset.  However, I'm not in their server daily and most of the time cannot spare the time to log into each dataset and run the agent.

I know this is an improbability, but it doesn't hurt to ask:  is there a way that the AP can run, in the background, for the other data sets?

I appreciate the input.

• 1. Re: Automated processes for multiple data sets
          John Neighbors SSMMVPGroup

We've not had any luck getting GoldMine's AP scanning to work "in the background".  We've only been able to have such happen successfully within an ACTIVE Windows session (and even one w/o the screen saver active, as we've seen the Windows screen saver cause GM AP scanning grief in some cases..although not all).

My thoughts on a possible solution to your need:

* For this to work, the computer upon which this AP scanning will take place needs to "stay logged in" to Windows and NOT invoke a screen saver (for extra assurance of success, at least).

a) Setup DISTINCT GM IDs for doing the scanning within EACH contact set (e.g. ZZSCAN1, ZZSCAN2, etc.).  Configure each of these GM IDs, such that when logging into GM, they automatically go into THEIR respective contact set.

b) Create a GM MACRO that launches the AP scanning (we've done this for many clients through the years).

c) Configure a scheduling utility of your choosing (it simply must be one that launches GoldMine within the live, active Windows session and NOT "behind the scenes"), as follows:

1) Launch GoldMine with command line parameters to auto log into one of the contact sets using the specific GM ID setup for that contact set (e.g. ZZSCAN1). Make sure to invoke the macro that launches AP scanning at the same time.

2) Wait a specified amount of time (based on your testing to determine how long an AP scan in this specific contact set takes), and then KILL the GM session (there are a number of ways of doing this via the command line).

3) Repeat the above for each contact set, setting the LAUNCH TIMES (within the scheduling utility) as needed to make sure the AP scanning has had enough time to finish.

For example, just for SIMPLE illustration sake, let's say AP scanning takes roughly 90 minutes in EACH contact set (I know they won't all take the same amount of time, but just for illustrations sake).  Our scheduling utility timed configuration might look like this:

2:00 am Launch AP scanning in Contact Set 1

3:55 am KILL the active GM session. (1 hr 55 min should be enough for a 90 min AP scan.)

4:00 am Launch AP scanning in Contact Set 2

5:55 am KILL the active GM session. (1 hr 55 min should be enough for a 90 min AP scan.)

6:00 am Launch AP scanning in Contact Set 3

7:55 am KILL the active GM session. (1 hr 55 min should be enough for a 90 min AP scan.)

8:00 am Launch AP scanning in Contact Set 4

9:55 am KILL the active GM session. (1 hr 55 min should be enough for a 90 min AP scan.)

Those are my thoughts.  I realize there are a lot of specific "have tos" in this (e.g. having a PC available to stay logged in and do this, etc.).

For most of our clients that we've setup similar configurations, they actually have us do this on the GM server itself, which we can access remotely, but is "secured" behind their corporate firewalls otherwise. Clearly any networked PC that you can manage remotely and "stay logged in" to Windows should suffice.

Hope this feedback helps. Please let me know if I need to clarify anything.

• 2. Re: Automated processes for multiple data sets
            Doug Castell Expert

I'd leverage the ability to pass a /c: command line to dictate which contact set is opened combined with the more traditional methods of starting the server agents upon login.

If you have an idea how long the APs take to complete a scan, set the user in question to be auto-logged out after a particular amount of time and then setup windows task scheduler with the appropriate GoldMine shortcuts (complete with /u, /p, /c, and /m switches) to line up the various contact set scans.

• 3. Re: Automated processes for multiple data sets
              LHurse Apprentice

John, thank you so much for the detailed info.  I actually understand the steps you gave as an example.

I'll report back and let you know how it went.

Thanks again!

• 4. Re: Automated processes for multiple data sets
                LHurse Apprentice

Doug, your info also sounds like a viable solution.

I'm going to go into this with both your post and John's in my arsenal - will report back to let you guys know how it went!

Thank you so much!

• 5. Re: Automated processes for multiple data sets

Doh!  Looks like I've missed the /c command line switch somewhere. That simply means you wouldn't have to setup distinct GM IDs, per Contact Set, as I suggested, but rather, simply go with ONE GM ID for AP scanning and then vary your /c: usage to go into each respective contact set.

(Thanks for the insight, Doug. )

• 6. Re: Automated processes for multiple data sets

In case it helps, there is documentation for the /c: command line switch here: Command line option / switches for GoldMine Premium Edition