4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2019 2:01 AM by [email protected]

Recommendations moving from Self Service to Self Service Mobile

louise.piper@it.ox.ac.uk Apprentice

We are looking to move from Self Service to Self Service Mobile.

Some of our Services rely upon direct links to offerings and I've noticed a couple of queries around this.

Also, I've noticed differences in the way that Service Request fields are displayed in SS Mobile (additional ':' on some field labels, alignment to right rather than left, Help ? displayed where there is no help text), as well as images used for the Catalogue entry being rather large.

Has anyone moved from Self Service to Self Service Mobile?

Do you have any recommendations on redevelopment work that must be carried out beforehand, and / or any gotchas please?

Are there any limitations on what customers are able to do or see in My Items?

Thanks in advance

Louise

• 1. Re: Recommendations moving from Self Service to Self Service Mobile
          IJU Expert

Hello Louise,

to be honest I havent't seen anyone move to Self Service Mobile UI without encountering any issues.

I cannot tell you in great detail what to look out for when doing the move but I'd like you to keep these things in mind:

- the mobile UI is not final to fully replace the normale self service

- you cannot use additional workspaces, like a more detailled Incident view or a simplified view on the customers CIs via a seperate workspace. It's just not possbile at the moment

- there has been reported several bugs for the Request Offerings. For example: Currencys are not showing as they are expected to do. Or bugs when one field triggers the value of a second field. Best way to say it: Some things which work in the "old" Self Service don't work as expected in the mobile UI

- Ask yourself: Do you need the mobile UI just because it looks better (which it does)? Or do you want your customers to acccess it more via their mobile devices?

- You should be fine though if you keep everything as simple as possible when it comes to Request Offerings and you don't expect the customers to access anything else but the modules being provided for the mobile UI

I hope that helps...in a way

Kind regards

Immanuel Jungheim

Senior Consultant

ITSM Group – Be Better.

www.itsmgroup.com

• 2. Re: Recommendations moving from Self Service to Self Service Mobile

Hi Immanuel,

We are mainly looking at it because the landing page appears more user-friendly, but if the request offerings don't work reliably in the same way as the old UI it probably isn't a good idea to change.

Thanks very much for your honesty. That's very helpful.

Louise

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Recommendations moving from Self Service to Self Service Mobile
              IJU Expert

Hi Louise,

if I were you I would just create a test role with the new mobile ui layout and see in what way the request offerings you already have behave.

If they're simple enough you might not even encounter any problems. It depends on complexity and certain constellations of request offering form elements (visibility rules and the such). I am not saying it won't work. It might even work perfectly for you. But testing does not cost any money...well it does. You know what I mean

Kind regards

Immanuel Jungheim

Senior Consultant

ITSM Group – Be Better.

www.itsmgroup.com

• 4. Re: Recommendations moving from Self Service to Self Service Mobile

Hi Immanuel

Yes that's what we are doing. I was alarmed by some of the cosmetic differences in the forms without really going into any detailed testing. Most of our offerings have fairly complex visibility / required conditions, and many have default values of other fields dependent on selections made by the requestor. I will do some further testing but suspect it wouldn't be feasible to test, redevelop and retest everything as we just don't have the resource. It would also put a stop to current developments.

It's very disappointing.

Thanks for your help - it's much appreciated.

Regards

Louise