So I've figured out a way to do this but I want to bounce the idea off others to see if anyone else has actually managed to achieve this and if there is any better way to do it.
My Organisation functions on a one service request template setup using LANDesk (v2016.2). Upgrading to ISM (v2018), we have found the concept of having to select a mandatory template for every request to be tedious and counter-productive.
Configured ServiceReq# Business object to allow staff to use a single 'Standard Request Template' via the click of a button yet still have the functionality of selecting other Request Offering templates available using the OoB configuration.
- Create a Blank Request Offering with just two fields - Summary (Text box) and Description (Text Area). These will be required for visibility in the Self Service Portal.
- Create a Boolean field: 'Apply Default Template'
- Create Initialization Business Rule to Set to True:
- Create Quick action to hard-code relevant recID values required for this request template:
- Add the Quick Action to the Toolbar using the Toolbar editor:
- Apply a Hidden Expression on the new Save button:
- Apply a Disabled Expression:
- Apply a Hidden Expression on the existing Save button:
- Save BO
- Open desired Layout and modify the ServiceReq main template - Add the Standard Request field:
- Apply a Read Only Rule to the field - This will disallow users from changing the Request Template after it's saved as well as prevent the Save (Standard Template) from re-appearing in the menu for selection.
- Save BO
- Finally Apply a Hidden Expression to the Parameters Tab:
- Save and Refresh Portal.