5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2009 8:52 AM by Jason

How to install software when user logon?

Rookie

Good afternoon,

I am a newbee in Landesk world and i have some problem with software distribution.

I have created a scheduled task to install a new version of citrix client:

- Distribution Package:      Preliminary:  VBS uninstall all citrix client and clean registry

Main:           XenAppPlugin.msi silent installation

Final:           Batch for reboot

- Delivery Method: Policy / Installed required + progress bar + allow reboot

I want that this scheduled task run at user logon. Policy.sync.log is not always update when user logon.

How to be sure that this task will always execute at user logon? I don't want user have time to launch citrix before installation and reboot are done.

Core Server: Landesk 8.8 SP3

Regards,

Chris

• 1. Re: How to install software when user logon?
          zman Master

To be perfectly sure it runs at logon, I would use a local scheduled task.  If you are unfamilair with the syntax you can use the GUI to create the task and look at the syntax, http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-5778 Note option for Run when user logs in.

The one issue with using the GUI it creates a script, which does not have a lot of delivery options. So you can take the syntax from the script and create a batch file. Then you distribute the batch file.

So the script use tokens that need to be changed for the batch file to work. This would become

<qt/>%LDMS_CLIENT_DIR%\LocalSch.exe<qt/>

<qt/> = "

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\LANDESK\LDCLIENT\LocalSch.exe"

So you would combine your three packages into one script - Uninstall/Clean - Install - Reboot and then call that via local scheduler.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to install software when user logon?
            Rookie

Thank for your quick answer Zman.

What strike me is that in agent settings you have option for software deployment at logon. Does this option not work?

I would prefer to use standard agent features because it will be simpler for administration.

Does anyone manage to force policy.sync at user logon?

• 3. Re: How to install software when user logon?
              zman Master

So it does work but if you have a very specific timing related installation such as yours - must happen right a logon, then I recommend Local Scheduled Tasks.The way the logon work is by using a local scheduled task:

C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\policy.sync.exe 
                   handle    : 633
                   start     : Wed Aug 19 11:46:15 2009
                   frequency : 600
                   Filter 1  : OS Event (logon)
                   Filter 2  : [Auto delay] State=(Not ready) Min=(0) Max=(60)

The issue is that there is a max delay of 60 minutes. This to randomize the load placed on the core server.

• 4. Re: How to install software when user logon?
                Rookie

Hello,

I have update my agent settings. Now i have that setting:

4: C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\policy.sync.exe
                      handle    : 633
                      start     : Wed Dec 31 16:00:00 1969
                      frequency : 600
                      Filter 1  : OS Event (logon)

I think that this configuration will be enough for my software distribution.

The only negative point is that if user connect twice in 10 minutes he won't policy update until the end of frequency delay (600).

I think that it's a rare situation.

Do you have an idea on how to reduce frequency?

• 5. Re: How to install software when user logon?
                  Jason SupportEmployee

Chris you can adjust the frequency value but the issue becomes even if you set it for less than minutes, it has been built into a wait at least 10 minutes before rerunning, This is to prevent the issue of it running on every minute or less and rending the client machine useless.

To adjust the Frequency use a /freq in your command line remember it is in seconds.

/freq=xxx