4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2010 8:21 PM by cdieker

Scheduled tasks starting prior to scheduled time?

Apprentice

I have run into this a few times lately where a scheduled job set to run at a later time immediately takes off. This is a pretty big issues as one could imagine. This happened to us today. We have 40 or so systems scehduled to have Office 2007 install tonight after busness hours. Well about 10:00 this morning our help desk calls me saying that are receiving calls that systems are rebooting. Sure enough, I show 20 or so system active in my scheduled task however the actual task doesn't not show it to be running, it is just sitting there with the little arrow telling meit is scheduled. This was a push standard multicast distribution.

The other time I ran into something wierd with this was I told a job to run again on all devices that failed. There were around 5000 that we sucessful and 50 that failed. Once the job started, it ran on all 5000 systems but not the 50 that originally failed.

In the 2 years that I have been running LANDesk at our company I have never seen this behavior until recent. No changes have been made. I have checked the time and date on the server, all of which is correct. I thought I would post here before calling support to see if anyone else has had this issue. I am currently not scheduling any tasks ahead time until this is resolved.

8.8 SP3.

Thanks,

Mike

• 1. Re: Scheduled tasks starting prior to scheduled time?
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

I *have* heard of this once or twice - but at the moment, it seems more of an ephemeral phantom.

I do believe "it's out there" - we just never got to see it. If you can (at all) get this to duplicate reasonably reliably somehow, log it with support, and we'll take it from there.

So - you're not likely to be going crazy, I've heard (VERY sporadic, mind) reports of this before. Not sure what could be causing this, but there's simply not enough info to go on so far (other than "this seems to happen rarely") to figure out what's involved (cross timezone consoles / other such things), until this is something that happens reasonbaly reliably (and we can then actually try to trace what's goin on).

It's not much help, but at least you should feel as if you're not entirely alone with this.

Help-wise, however, there's not much we can do at this point, since we need to capture this happening, to begin figuring out what's involved.

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Scheduled tasks starting prior to scheduled time?
            zman Master

Seen it twice and have screenshots to prove it.  Opened a ticket and we looked at the issue and could not find anything. Was not a time setting issue between SQL, core, console, etc... Knock on wood has not happened since. Just for curiosity, was this with a newly created task, or a rescheduled existing task?

• 3. Re: Scheduled tasks starting prior to scheduled time?
              Apprentice

Thanks guys, I placed call into support yesterday and they are looking at my log files and researching. Yes this was a rescheduled task which this happened on. I do not remember on the other occasions if it was or not however. I am glad to know that others have seen this and I am not the only one . I will take screen shots if I see it happening again as this is very difficult to replicate or isolate.

Mike

• 4. Re: Scheduled tasks starting prior to scheduled time?
                Rookie

I have seen this several times with policy supported pushes(emergency failsafe delivery method,no ui,no cancel) that were previously run where policy kicks off before the sceduled time. Only way to prevent it is to fully cancel the task then schedule it. (I started them previous to a mass deployment on a smaller test group before every major push). I have only seen today this happened with a regular push/emergency deployment that started even though I canceled the previous task run.