7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2011 7:37 AM by Regis

Incorrect "Login Name"

I'm on 8.8 SP3 but this issue has been happening since 8.8 SP2 on one specific workstation. I logged into this workstation 9 months ago and ever since no matter what we do the inventory reports me in the "Login Name" inventory field. Obviously we restarted, had other users logged in, the scanner works fine, just this field won't get updated. Where is the login field taken from, perhaps I can just delete it in registry....

• 1. Re: Incorrect "Login Name"
          Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

The scanner is getting it from this key.

The user that has logged in the most is what is in inventory.  If two or  more users are listed and have the same amount of entries then the first one is used I believe.

If you want it to go away, maybe delete the strings values under this key.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Incorrect "Login Name"

Thanks ryous, that truly is the field where LANDesk gets it from and deletting it resovles the issue now I wonder how this is caused (registry corruption is not good enough) and more importantly how I can identify workstations that are incorrectly reporting. I believe it should be the LAST login name but if it is the most frequent.... it just can't be....

• 3. Re: Incorrect "Login Name"

I'd start with the agent configuration and ensure that it is performing inventory updates as expected. As already noted, as someone logs in, this entry should change. If the agent is not configured to perform a frequent regular inventory (1/month is not frequent), or "at login", or ip address change, then it could be some time for this to update in the LANDesk inventory.

If manually running an inventory is not working, you can also modify the inventoryscanner script item and add a /F to the end of the command to force a full inventory. Schedule the script and add the machine and then test some before login and after login scans to be sure that its working.

It will look like this.

;--- assumes that ldappl3.ini is in same dir as the .exe
              REMEXEC1=<qt/>%LDMS_CLIENT_DIR%\LDISCN32.EXE<qt/> /NTT=%server%:5007 /S="%server%" /I=HTTP://%server%/ldlogon/ldappl3.ldz /NOUI /NOCD /F

• 4. Re: Incorrect "Login Name"

The agent configuration is good. I run the scheduler at every login, once a day and at ip address change.

It's really not a matter of inventory running, I get the reading just fine, rather it pulls what looks like "the most freuqntly logged in user" from registry (as stated above) as opposed to "last logged in user".

Can anybody formally verify it is THE MOST FREQUENTLY? Because that changes the game.

• 5. Re: Incorrect "Login Name"

Full Name and Login Name come from your Active Directory. The executable ldapwhoami.exe will launch and attempt to get this information from Active Directory during an inventory scan. LANDesk uses API calls to request this information from the Operating System and Active Directory and this is done by utilizing some functions in netapi32.dll. You can verify this by running ldapwhoami.exe from within command prompt window and it will list the information.

If the user account that executes the LANDesk inventory scanner (ldiscn32.exe) does not have local administrator permissions or access to the Domain environment, this value will not be gathered by the LANDesk inventory scanner. Make sure that the inventory scanner is only executed by a user with local administrator privileges and access to the domain.

The Primary Owner field is what utilizes the registry listing. An entry is created with the user name of the currently logged user to the registry under HKLM\Software\LANDesk\Inventory\LogonHistory\Logons each time the inventory scanner is executed. The default setting of 5 logins would be required before this data would show as the Primary Owner. This is not actually 5 logins but 5 inventory scans with the same user logged in at the time of scan. It is configurable on the core under configure | services | inventory tab.

• 6. Re: Incorrect "Login Name"

In a reply to your original question I would suggest that you launch ldapwhoami.exe manually with a command prompt and verify what information is returned with that user logged in and launching the executable.

• 7. Re: Incorrect "Login Name"

I understand that the primary owner information is collected from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LANDesk\Inventory\LogonHistory\Logons. Does anyone know where the login name (just login name without domain) information is collected from?

Or LANDesk inventory has any intelligence to trim the primary owner to get just the login name?

- Regis