4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2009 4:20 PM by PatGmac

Possible to hide install parameters in sdclient logfile?

Rookie

Greetings!

As we know all LANdesk tasks are logged under the LANDesk folder \LDClient\Data\sdclient_taskxxx.txt.

Some times it is necessary to use username/password parameters in a distribution package,

under Install options - Command line.

These are also logged in the sdclient logfile on the client, something we definately want to avoid.

Using a central batch file containing the same information is not an option as the share is available to even

more users than the clients.

So short said: is it possible to prevent sdclient logging for a specific distribution package hence solving this issue?

• 1. Re: Possible to hide install parameters in sdclient logfile?
          zman Master

I asked for this a while ago since I use a PSP to change local admin passwords. You can search the forum on what I did for this, but basically I script in the package to delete the local sdclient log file based scheduled task ID. It would be nice to have this in the product. I guess when we start testing 9.0 we can see if it is in there, but I'm not hopeful.

Hopefully the new ER system will be functional sometime in the near future.

• 2. Re: Possible to hide install parameters in sdclient logfile?
            Rookie

Thanks for your feedback Zman, I tried to search the forum beforing posting (and again) but did not find the relevant post, could you be more specific as to how you solved this (batch file, script in or dependant to package)? We reckoned using a batch file deleting the sdclient log but prefer not to use batch files or AutoIT scripts  (since it requires user logged in).for pushing certain applications. MSI packages are better to adminstrate as for uninstalls and similar later on, in our experience this is

• 3. Re: Possible to hide install parameters in sdclient logfile?
              Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

I ran into this as well.

If you turn ECHO OFF in the batch file, then the batch file data is not displayed in a log, but it IS displayed in the batch file.

If you are putting the username and password as command line parameters to the batch file, then you will NOT see it in the batch file but you will see it in two places.  See the comments of this document.How to add Local Users and Groups using a Batch File Distribution Package

So as Paul recommends, if you delete the two log files after the batch file runs, you have no passwords in clear text left on the client.

Also, I have toyed with the idea of using a password jumbling/hashing/encoding/encrypting/or-something-like-that tool, but I never got around to doing it.  We have a jumble.exe in Management\Utilities\NTCfgKit but I can jumble things but I don't know how to "unjumble" it for use.

I think Jan Buelens wrote it, maybe he has an idea.

• 4. Re: Possible to hide install parameters in sdclient logfile?
                Apprentice

another_visitor wrote:

Thanks for your feedback Zman, I tried to search the forum beforing posting (and again) but did not find the relevant post, could you be more specific as to how you solved this (batch file, script in or dependant to package)? We reckoned using a batch file deleting the sdclient log but prefer not to use batch files or AutoIT scripts  (since it requires user logged in).for pushing certain applications. MSI packages are better to adminstrate as for uninstalls and similar later on, in our experience this is

AutoIT scripts work without a logged in user. I package most of my software with AutoIT.