5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2009 8:40 AM by brandonhyde

Configure_Target_OS

Rookie

Landesk 8.8 SP3, HII provisioning failing at injecting the provisioning agent. Is it possible to inject this agent manually using the winpe console and if so the steps involved.

• 1. Re: Configure_Target_OS
          Apprentice

I myself just went through a mess of troubleshooting to get the "Configure Target OS" step to work.  Here's a couple of things to consider...

- Configure Target OS only works when Sysprep is used on the image. (surprisingly enough, this isn't really stated anywhere)

- CTOS copies files to the WinPE drive and then to the drive the OS is installed on.  Does your WinPE have enough free space?  I would recommend 10MB.  You can check this with the tool bar buttons

in the OS Deployment section of the Management Console.

- If you boot into WinPE and start a new console, can you browse to the drive that the OS is installed on?

- Is the LANDesk Agent installed on your image?  If so, this could be the cause.  LANDesk highly recommends having the agent installed post-image via a Provisioning template or seperate task.

Hopefully that will get you started.  In regards to manually starting the agent back up, you can do it but I don't recommend it.  I played around with it and it seemed to be more headache than it's worth.  You have to manually copy several files to the drive and then start the provisioning after sysprep either with GuiRunOnce or some other means.

If you try the steps above and still would rather look into manually running it, let me know and I'll post the file names, etc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Configure_Target_OS
            Rookie

- Configure Target OS only works when Sysprep is used on the image. (surprisingly enough, this isn't really stated anywhere)

What needs to be in the sysprep file apart from the OS config?

CTOS copies files to the WinPE drive and then to the drive the OS is installed on.  Does your WinPE have enough free space?  I would recommend 10MB.  You can check this with the tool bar buttons in the OS Deployment section of the Management Console.

What files does CTOS copy to the drive the OS is installed on, i am unable to find any, this maybe my problem. There is 14MB spare in WinPE

- If you boot into WinPE and start a new console, can you browse to the drive that the OS is installed on?

Yes we can browse to the C drive

- Is the LANDesk Agent installed on your image?  If so, this could be the cause.  LANDesk highly recommends having the agent installed post-image via a Provisioning template or seperate task.

There is no Landesk agent installed on the image this is all post OS config

• 3. Re: Configure_Target_OS
              Apprentice

You actually don't have to have anything special in the sysprep.inf.  As long as you ran sysprep before pulling the image and there is a sysprep.inf file residing here: c:\sysprep\sysprep.inf, then Provisioning will automatically inject some information (I'm assuming into guirunonce) before the machine reboots again so the next time it comes up, provisioning starts again.

Here are the files it copies.

ldProvision.exe

prov_user.exe

cba8inst.msi

rainstall.exe

lclxsvc.dll

libeay32.dll

msvcr71.dll

vcredist_x86.exe

nts.dll

pds.dll

msgsys.exe

All but two of them reside in C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\ldlogon.

The ldprovision.exe and prov_user.exe are in C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\ldlogon\Provisioning\Windows.

ldProvision.exe is of course the main executable that starts the whole process.  Note: CTOS puts these files on the C drive in a folder called "ldprovision" so make sure you do it the same way in case any of the files have hard coded information pointing to that directory.

Hope this helps!

• 4. Re: Configure_Target_OS
                Rookie

OK thanks for the file locations. We have created the ldprovsion folder on the c drive and copied the files over but the template is still failing at the inject provisioning agent step.Are we missing something? Should this step of copying the files mean that the inject provisioning agent should now work or are we meant to be carrying out further steps to replicate this step manually and removing it from the Template  as its still failing at this stage.

Thanks for the help 

• 5. Re: Configure_Target_OS
                  Apprentice

The questions I had you answer before were based on my research when I had issues with CTOS and based on your answers, I think you're doing everything right.

In regards to doing it manually, yes, you would want to remove the CTOS action.  In place of it, you would want to copy the files to the c:\ldprovision directory which you said you already are.  Next, you would want to call ldprovision.exe somehow after sysprep has ran.  I think the most common way to do that is with the guirunonce section in the sysprep.inf.

Like I said before, I never actually tried this manual method since I got the CTOS action to finally work but based on my experiences with it, the information I've provided you is how you could replicate it manually.