7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 6, 2009 7:36 AM by brandonhyde

CTOS fails when a machine is already in the database

katharinah Rookie

Hi everybody,

i have a little problem: i designed a little template to deploy an image hardware independent to some workstations

this works very nice, but the CTOS Action will always fail, if a machine is already in the Landesk Database.

I checked the point "insert unique id" and this is linked to "%ldDeviceID%

When i put a machine in the database (bare metall) then everything works fine.....the action CTOS is successfull.

But it fails if a machine is already in the database with existing agent.....

I put a screenshot with this document.

When i uncheck the point "insert unique id" the provisioning action "ctos" works fine but the machine (which is already in the database) will appear to times in the database. This is not good too......

I hope somebody can help me with this problem

We are running Landesk Version 8.8 SP3

Thanks a lot

greeeeetz Katharina

• 1. Re: CTOS fails when a machine is already in the database
          katharinah Rookie

I forgot to tell you the error code in provisioning at the client

Error code: 80001803H

thanks

katharina

• 2. Re: CTOS fails when a machine is already in the database
            Apprentice

I had the same issues with CTOS so I took a different approach.  I left "Insert unique ID" unchecked and instead used a variable in my sysprep.inf file.  The variable you want to use is %ldHostname%.  But before you use it, open your public variables window and change ldHostname from "Computer"."Device Name" to "Computer"."Display Name".  Don't forget that variables are case sensitive!  :-)  Below is an example of what the UserData section of your sysprep.inf file will look like.

[UserData]
                ComputerName=%ldHostname%
                ProductKey=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
                FullName="Workstation"
                OrgName="Put Your Company Name Here"

Let me know if you have any problems with this method.  Good Luck!

EDIT: By the way, if you still have issues with duplicate devices after using this method, we might need to take a look at how you have your core configured to handle duplicate devices.

• 3. Re: CTOS fails when a machine is already in the database
              katharinah Rookie

Hi

first i want to thank you for the help, but it doesn't work....the provisioning runs without any error, but the machines are 2times in the database

here are the lines in the sysprep

[UserData]
              ProductKey=%XP_ProductKey%
              FullName="carexpert"
              OrgName="KFZ-Sachverständigen GmbH"
              ComputerName=%ldHostname%

and i put a screenshot from my public variables with this answer.....maybe the core is not configured right....can you help me

thank you

• 4. Re: CTOS fails when a machine is already in the database
                Apprentice

There are two things here.  First, making sure your duplicate device detection is setup right.

1. Go to Configure and then Services.

2. Choose the Inventory tab.

3. Click on the Devices button.

4. Both device names and MAC addresses match should be check and Restore old Device IDs should be unchecked.  Click Ok.

5. Click on the Device IDs button.

6. Identity Attributes should be Computer.Device Name and Computer.Network.NIC Address.

7. Reject Duplicate Identities should be checked and Identity Attributes change should be set to 2.

If you have your core configured this way, then each evening when the core performs database maintenance, it will clean out any duplicates that have been generated due to imaging.  The second thing to consider, and I honestly don't know the answer to this, is whether or not what i just described is the way LANDesk is supposed to work.  I've always been ok with imaging creating duplicate devices because like I said, they're cleaned out each evening.  If someone else can tell us a way to prevent the duplicate from being generated after imaging, please do so!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: CTOS fails when a machine is already in the database
                  katharinah Rookie

Hey,

okay my core is exactly configured like this....then i'll wait till tomorrow and will have a look at this machines.....when the core server will delete the duplicate ones then everything is perfect.....i will give you an feedback tomorrow....thank you very much

• 6. Re: CTOS fails when a machine is already in the database
                    katharinah Rookie

Hey Ho,

okay you were right and today in the morning there were only one of the duplicate machines in the database....Landesk did a good job this night ;-)

so this is perfekt for me now.....thank you very much for your help and i wish you a good day

maybe i will come back with other problems ;-) but i do not hope so

greetz katharina

• 7. Re: CTOS fails when a machine is already in the database
                      Apprentice

Good deal!  Thanks for following up and please do come back.  This site has a wealth of knowledge and a lot of LANDesk customers and employees that are more than willing to help when you post questions!