4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2009 10:43 AM by JSMCPN

ldiscn32.exe crashing - related to missing "LD-88-VCUpdate-08-09"?

Rookie

Hi,

First off, i am new here, so apologies if i'm posting this in incorrect category.

Secondly, we've recently had a third party consultancy company in to upgrade LDMS to 8.8 sp3, from 8.6. things have been working fine. I'm by no means an expert with LANDesk, hence the following problem i'm getting. :-)

We recently started seeing some clients get error messages relating to the inventory scanners running on their PCs.  "faulting application, ldiscn32.exe, version 8.80.2.50, faulting module ldiscn32.exe, versions 8.80.2.50 fault address 0x0006e0c6" At first this seemed totally random, but after a bit of digging it seems to only affect users of development workstations; with visual studio, or components thereof installed.

Like a lot of people we have just installed MS09-034, and MS09-035 to our servers (including LANDesk core server), and client machines.

With this in mind it seemed fair for me to assume that the crashes are related to "LD-88-VCUpdate-08-09" missing from the core server, and client devices. In fact, core and clients were also missing "LD-88-Rollup-07-09" also. So after installing the core updates, and positively testing the client patches on a device i set about creating repair jobs for these updates and pushing them out to remaining clients. All well and good.

Except, i'm seeing that these updates aren't resolving the crashing inventory scanner on most other devices.

• could the two updates installing in the wrong order cause this?
      • could something else be causing this?
        • 1. Re: ldiscn32.exe crashing - related to missing "LD-88-VCUpdate-08-09"?
          Rookie

edit 1: as an update, devices that i thought no longer had the issue, apparently still do. :-/

edit 2: i have tried re-deploying an updated agent to a device, this still does not resolve the issue

edit 3: i have tried using the /noata switch that other people have reported as working, this still does not resolve the issue. The inventory scan always fails during the sofware scan section.

• 2. Re: ldiscn32.exe crashing - related to missing "LD-88-VCUpdate-08-09"?
            JSMCPN Expert

I'm also having this problem.  I cannot attribute it to the VCupdate though, as it's happening on machines with either version of VC.  Reinstalling the agent doesn't help, the crash happens during agent install as well.  The crash happens on a freshly imaged XP SP2 system, non-domain, no GPO applied, no Windows Updates installed beyond what is in the HII (captured Jan.2007).  The problem is definitely with my Core/Agent but I just can't find it.

The Hardware and Drivers portion of the Inventory Scan works fine, but then crashes when the Software scan begins.

Here's my troubleshooting so far:

Using LDISCN32.EXE version 8.80.2.40  (Have also tried 2.15 and 2.50, same results)

Using unmodified SP2 LDAPPL3.template and a totally empty SLM database when generating LDAPPL3.ini

Not using any Inventory Helpers via LDSCNHLP.INI

Sequence of events:

Run several delta inventory scans - invdelta.tmp is not completed and renamed to .dat

RESULT: Console refresh updates "Last updated by inventory server" correctly every time.

I manually delete everything in the \Data\ directory for a clean start

Run an Inventory Scan with /F /SYNC /DEBUG /NOCD

LDAPPL3 files are downloaded, invdelta.tmp file is created

Inventory scanner GUI says:

Hardware: Done

Driver: Done

Software scan: (BLANK)

Software scan begins:

GatherProducts.exe runs and completes, writes to \Data\GatherProducts.log

Last 2 lines of log:

Sat, 14 Nov 2009 14:21:16 Wrote c:\program files\landesk\ldclient\data\proddefs\Microsoft Corporation_Windows Movie Maker_2.0.xml

Sat, 14 Nov 2009 14:21:16 Exiting - 0

No activity from the Inventory Scanner GUI for a few seconds, then GUI closes and SOMETIMES throws either a Dr. Watson or memory could not be "read" error.

Here is the last 13 lines of DEBUG log at \Data\ldiscn32.log.  Regardless of what applications are installed on any given client, the debug log ALWAYS ends after the first 3 software products are scanned, but at the end of the 3rd product, it NEVER makes it to _EndContents.

Sat Nov 14 14:45:24 2009:   Buffering data: OS - Drivers and Services - Service - (Name:Network Provisioning Service) - Status = Stopped

Sat Nov 14 14:45:24 2009: Starting software scan.

Sat Nov 14 14:45:24 2009:   Buffering data: Last Software Scan Date = 1258235124

Sat Nov 14 14:45:24 2009:   Inflating C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\Data\LDAPPL3.INI

Sat Nov 14 14:45:24 2009:   Buffering data: Multimedia Files - Scanned Extensions = .JPG .JPEG .BMP .MPG .MPEG .MPEG .MP3 .WMA .GIF .MOV .AIFF

Sat Nov 14 14:46:03 2009:   Buffering data: Product - (Hash:nqJ6CNlIwS4ANrVQchJahw==) - Definition ID = Adobe Systems Incorporated_Adobe Acrobat_4.0

Sat Nov 14 14:46:03 2009:   Buffering data: _BeginProdDef

Sat Nov 14 14:46:03 2009:   Buffering data: _EndContents

Sat Nov 14 14:46:03 2009:   Buffering data: Product - (Hash:FKnyEAATNM2BUWiCiAIuyw==) - Definition ID = Broderbund_Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing_15.0

Sat Nov 14 14:46:03 2009:   Buffering data: _EndContents

Sat Nov 14 14:46:03 2009:   Buffering data: Product - (Hash:3vnZ89BBMHu+lwQyYHDdiw==) - Definition ID = InterVideo Inc._WinDVD Application_5.0

>>>>>>>> LDISCN32 CRASHES HERE <<<<<<<<

Any help is appreciated - I am pulling my hair out over this problem, it's even happening on the Core when the Inventory Service tries to scan it!

Jesse

• 3. Re: ldiscn32.exe crashing - related to missing "LD-88-VCUpdate-08-09"?
              Rookie

I'd love to say I could help you out further with this. However, for us the problem appeared to resolve itself whilst I was on holiday for a couple of weeks. Literally, before leaving the problem was still happening, upon my return it was no longer happening. I could only think that this might have been caused, and therefore resolved by some other software that had updated itself during my absence. It could have been another security update, or antivirus, but i've not been able to pin point it.

Sorry about that.

• 4. Re: ldiscn32.exe crashing - related to missing "LD-88-VCUpdate-08-09"?
                JSMCPN Expert

I'm still having this problem on many systems.  In "Configure LANDesk Software Services" application, I changed the Inventory service setting "Disable Encryption" to "0" instead of "1".  I understand this makes the client wait to upload a complete, compressed inventory scan AFTER the scanner finishes, instead of creating a new scanfile on the core and streaming data to it as it's generated by ldiscn32.

So, if I set Disable Encryption to "1", machines throw ldiscn32 errors and leave the invdelta.tmp file behind when it crashes.  In this scenario, I see lots of in-use, temporary scanfiles in the Core server's LDSCAN folder.

Any help before I open a case?

Thanks!