14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2010 8:36 AM by afrogers

Installaing LANDEsk on Windows 2008

Apprentice

I get the following error when installaing LANDesk  Servicedesk..

Windows 2008 Server

IIS 7.0 with IIS 6.0 compatibilty

Everything goes ok. Services are created. When the last "thing" is to be done I get this error and the install roll back all the way.

Product: LANDesk Service Desk -- The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package.
      This may indicate a problem with this package.
      The error code is 2869.

I have tried to install:

- the whole system.

-just Console and TPS

- Just TPS and Applicationsservices

I am local admin on the server. I am not allowed to use domain admin.

Get the same error everytime

Any idea ?

Göran

• 2. Re: Installaing LANDEsk on Windows 2008
          masterpetz ITSMMVPGroup

Hi Göran,

I think you have a problem with the UAC (User Account Control). This is a new feature in Viste and Server 2008.

I attach you a link how to turn off the UAC. Follow the steps and try installation again.

http://www.serverintellect.com/support/windowsserver2008/2008-UAC.aspx

After that, you can turn the UAC on again.

Best regards

Christian

• 3. Re: Installaing LANDEsk on Windows 2008
            Apprentice

Hello Christian!

Thanks for your help!  It seemed to be a usefull answer but did not help! I am quite sure it has with privillege to do.

The funny thing is that if I login in as domain admin it will probably work. At least it has when I have got this problem before.

I have tried a coupe of other account secure policies but so far I have not found the solution.

öran

• 4. Re: Installaing LANDEsk on Windows 2008
              Apprentice

Well it seems to be a touch assignment to get things installed properly on WWindows 2008!

First of all  to inform of the first problem. The place where i tried to install had adopted a installation policy where default web site was taken away in IIS. Quite touch to install new websites in these conditions..

The second issue was to get IIS 7.0 to be IIS 6 compatible. No problem to do this.

Now to the next thing. New non standard where all IIS files are placed on the D: disk instead of. C:  The result was that  TPS and serviceportal were installed on the D disk but in IIS the path still pointed at C:.....  Thart could also be fixed by repointing the the right path.

The next thing: There seem to  authority issues spooking around in  IIS and Windows policies.  Really I do not know whats happening  but I get problems when tring to start .....config.aspx... The error is pointing on row 85 in web.config. 

It seems to be all about auhorisation and login in to IIS. I have tried lots of options in IIS 7.0 without any noticable success.

At this point I have not so much  more to give other then lots of time comsuming analysing and trial and error.

Is there any good experience how to set up an IIS 7.0 environment correctly?

And are there any known issues of installing LANDesk Servicedesk on an IIS installed on thter paths then standard?

I have installed 7.2.6 on a 2008 environment before. Worked fine!

Göran

• 5. Re: Installaing LANDEsk on Windows 2008
                ITSMMVPGroup

It can be done Goran (and hello!).  I'd highly recommend not begining an install with non-standard locations like that.  I'm sure they can provide a server even if in dev with supported locations.

Next with 2008 I found the following roles useful...

27-10-2009 8-45-07 p.m..png

Next I'd run everything under a command prompt with administrative rights and paste the command lines in difrectly, that seems to be far more reliable than using the installers themselves.

• 6. Re: Installaing LANDEsk on Windows 2008
                  Apprentice

Hello Dave!

How is everything down under?

Thanks for the advice. I will try it and see if it works better.

I do not seem to be able to see the imageYou posted. Can You see it?

Göran

• 7. Re: Installaing LANDEsk on Windows 2008
                    ITSMMVPGroup

Aha so copy paste doesn't do the job....OK I have edited the entry and uploaded the image.  Should be visible now Mr GP :-)

• 8. Re: Installaing LANDEsk on Windows 2008
                      Apprentice

Ok dave. I have gone through those settings. I will check again that all are ticked. The funny thing that I  have LANDesk Servicedesk running on another 2008 with a different set ticked but there it works fine.  It is all about all settings balanced througout the system I guess.

Göran

• 9. Re: Installaing LANDEsk on Windows 2008
                        LegoGuy SupportEmployee

I have seen some issues with UAT after applying service pack 2 for 2008.  This is when they changed the way the installer works.  So if you can, try installing it on a 2008 server with only Service Pack 1.  You'll probably have much better results.

• 10. Re: Installing LANDEsk on Windows 2008
                          Apprentice

I have checked: It is Windows 2008 SP1

Some more interesting experiieces.

After some modifications inside IIS on the security finally we gor past that issue. The next one is handlers...

This section in web.config

<handlers>
                                  <remove name="WebServiceHandlerFactory-Integrated"/>
                                  <remove name="ScriptHandlerFactory"/>
                                  <remove name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices"/>
                                  <remove name="ScriptResource"/>
                                  <add name="ScriptHandlerFactory" verb="*" path="*.asmx" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
                                  <add name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
                                  <add name="ScriptResource" verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35"/>
                            </handlers>

is not allowed,.

Something in IIS keeps telling us that this is not allowwed.

If I take it away tis section in web.config everything works fine. The meta data check goes through without problems..

But it is not a suitable situation.

Anybody have any idea how to set IIS up to allow changing of handlers? 

Göran

• 11. Re: Installing LANDEsk on Windows 2008
                            Apprentice

Wow!

After a lot of searching i found the solution..

I unlocked the handlers section so it can be used in web.config file.

%windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe unlock config -section:system.webServer/handlers

Now it all works...

Before You install on IIS 7.0 be sure to have an IIS 7.0 expert available. It will save time...

• 12. Re: Installing LANDEsk on Windows 2008
                              afrogers Apprentice

Hi Goran, I'm unclear from your thread what the actual fix was for getting the Application Server installed.  I am installing 7.3.1 on a Windows 2008 R2 server and have installed Web Server and Console components without problems but I always get the 2869 install error for the Application Server.  All elements have been checked on Stu's helpful post on Windows 2008 issue.

Thanks

Anthony

• 13. Re: Installing LANDEsk on Windows 2008
                                Julian Wigman ITSMMVPGroup

I thought that error was to do with the fact that some services havent been uninstalled fully and they still exist in "services".   An "sc /Delete ..." on each if so may clean things up for you so it does install cleanly.

Julian

• 14. Re: Installing LANDEsk on Windows 2008
                                  afrogers Apprentice

I hadn't spotted that and its worked, thanks Julian.  When I first ran the complete install I didn't have all the correct Windows 2008 roles in place but it must have created the services instead of rolling back fully.

Thanks

Anthony