9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2009 2:38 AM by Stu McNeill

Inbound mail error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Apprentice

When trying to process automated alerts, I am seeing this error message in the event viewer:

Event Type:    Error
      Event Source:    Inbound Mail Engine
      Event Category:    None
      Event ID:    0
      Date:        22/10/2009
      Time:        8:01:52 AM
      User:        N/A
      Description:
      Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

• 1. Re: Inbound mail error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
          LegoGuy SupportEmployee

You can try turning on extra logging for the service to see if you get more information about this error.  Edit the file c:\program files\landesk\landesk applications\touchpaper.service.mail.inbound.windowsservice.exe.config.  In the file is a line for Log Severity. Change this to Trace and then restart the Touchpaper Inbound Mail service.  You should get more information in your application log after that and hopefully this will guide you in the right direction.

• 2. Re: Inbound mail error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
            Apprentice

Hmmm I seem to be getting on Outbound as well. With Trace on, I get this just prior to that error:

Event Type:    Information
            Event Source:    Outbound Mail Engine
            Date:        22/10/2009
            Time:        10:51:43 PM
            Description:
            Processing message with subject  text 'Changes with TL that need Line Mgr Approval' and body text 'These are currently assigned to the Chris's that require line manager approval in Bill's absence.'.

With Inbound i get:

• Retrieving Message from alert@xxxx.com with subject PROD Tape Subsubsystem Alert.
            • Creating New Process Incident
            • Creating an instance of IncidentManagement.Incident with lifecycle NewProcess1 with template EmailandPortal0  for user MVS System Alarm.
            • Processing mappings for business class IncidentManagement.Incident.
            • Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
            • 3. Re: Inbound mail error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
              Lara Hellman SupportEmployee

Hi Nogi,

Let's try fixing one thing at a time, Inbound and Outbound are completely separate things and these errors will not be related.  For the inbound:

Is there a message in the inbox that has no subject or body?  If not, compare the detailed logging of a 'sucessfully' processed mail with that of one that is not to see at which step it fails.

The Outbound mail logging is just information to say that it has processed a mail, it looks like you turned on the information logging for that service.

Thanks,

Lara

• 4. Re: Inbound mail error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
                Apprentice

Hi,

I've fixed the outbound mail issue, the subject text was too long. I wish the product would auto truncate this.

The on-topic inbound mail issue log is now in the post above.

Also, if I (or any user) forward the same email myself into the system, it creates it fine?

regards,

Nogi

• 5. Re: Inbound mail error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
                  Lara Hellman SupportEmployee

Hi Nogi,

I'm confused, the subject text can't be too long in an outbound mail.  You can try to insert too many characters into an assignment or reminder as part of the process via a placeholder and that could prevent an outbound mail from sending but the event log you pasted showed that the mail had been processed, it was an Information message confirming this.

The inbound information you added suggests there's something wrong with the inbound mappings.  I would suggest you try recreating them - try just mapping subject to title and body to description for testing purposes then add further mappings once you're satisfied it's working this far.

Thanks,

Lara

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Inbound mail error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
                    Apprentice

Here is the message source for one of the emails (with server details x'd)

Received: from xx-01.xxx.com.au ([172.16.0.233])
                              by xx-04.xxx.com.au (Lotus Domino Release 6.5.5)
                              with SMTP id 2009101909590142-260517 ;
                              Mon, 19 Oct 2009 09:59:01 +1000
                    Received: from xx2PROD.xxx.COM.AU ([10.1.50.98])
                    by xxs-01.cua.com.au (SMSSMTP 4.1.9.35) with SMTP id M2009101909590000961
                    for <SERVICE.DESKEV@XXX.COM.AU>; Mon, 19 Oct 2009 09:59:00 +1000

Received: from XX2PROD by XX2PROD.XXX.COM.AU (IBM MVS SMTP CS V1R9)
                       with BSMTP id STC07117; Mon, 19 Oct 09 09:58:57 EST
                    Date: 19 Oct 09 09:58:41 +1000
                    To: SERVICE.DESK@XXX.COM.AU
                    Subject: PROD Tape Subsubsystem Alert
                    X-MIMETrack: Itemize by SMTP Server on XX-04/XXX/AU(Release 6.5.5|November 30, 2005) at
                    19/10/2009 09:59:01 AM,
                             Serialize by Router on XXX-01/XXX/AU(Release 8.5FP1|June 15, 2009) at 19/10/2009
                    09:59:01 AM,
                             Serialize complete at 19/10/2009 09:59:01 AM,
                             Serialize by Notes Client on NoGi/XXX/AU(Release 8.5|December 05, 2008) at
                    22/10/2009 11:11:30 PM,
                             Serialize complete at 22/10/2009 11:11:30 PM
                    Message-ID: <OF0F0EEABE.49AF5518-ON4A257653.0083BF1E@LocalDomain>

IEA480E 0160,TAPE,3590,ACUTE ALERT,SER=0113-43506,MC=F2,ES=77,ID=82,REF=60C6-3147-3C56,UM=0A0A-2593-80

• 7. Re: Inbound mail error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
                      Apprentice
                      I would suggest you try recreating them - try just mapping subject to title and body to description for testing purposes

Ok I seem to have gotten somewhere. We use a HTML enabled field for the Incident description. This is where it is failing. If I map it to a plain text field it works fine. How do I resove this as we need to use the HTML fields otherwise user emailed incidents do not appear correctly.

• 8. Re: Inbound mail error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
                        Apprentice

Ok, still having this issue with inbound mail. Event manager error is still:

Event Type:    Error
                        Event Source:    Inbound Mail Engine
                        Date:        30/11/2009
                        Time:        2:14:22 PM
                        Computer:    BNETPSAPPS-01
                        Description:
                        Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

It doesn't seem to like emails with attachments.

• 9. Re: Inbound mail error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
                          Stu McNeill Employee

Hi,

I'd recommend you raise this with your support provider for proper investigation.  Depending on the source of the emails, the version of Service Desk you're using, the type of emails, etc this could be a complex configuration problem or a known software issue that has since been resolved.