11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2009 7:34 AM by jan.buelens

Image Capture with OSD

Rookie

Hi,

I am testing the Image capture functionality with LDMS 8.8 sp3. I am having a few problems though so I am hoping someone can help point me in the right direction. I have created the image capture and I am able to run the task on the target pc. The pc then reboots but it fails when  trying to resolve the Landesk server name.

I have selected the right Network driver and I have also checked that DNS is running correctly, there is a ALIAS in our DNS for the landesk server. The ip settings are exactly the same as they should be but for some reason once it boots into the capture image task I cannot ping the landesk server.

Have I missed something.?

• 1. Re: Image Capture with OSD
          Employee

Are you sure that this is a name resolution problem? From the way you describe what happens, it is not clear whether things fail when trying to resolve the Landesk server name, as you say in one place, or when trying to ping the server, as you suggest in another place.

It helps to understand a thing or two about what happens when WinPE comes up. You can see this is in the image's startnet.cmd file. First, there is a program called wait4ip that checks whether there is a network card (meaning one that has a driver loaded), whether it got an IP address and whether the core server name can be resolved. If wait4ip is happy, the next thing that happens is 5 attempts to ping the core server.

So what exactly are you seeing? Are you seeing (a) 5 unsuccessful attempts to ping the core server, or (b) a message Failed to get localhost IP address or resolve core server name. Please check your network and try again (which is what you get when wait4ip fails). If the answer is (a), then name resolution is not the problem.

• 2. Re: Image Capture with OSD
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

Which environment are you running in?

If you're in DOS, remember that you're NOT running with DNS, but with WINS (so make sure you've edited your LMHOSTS file).

If you're lucky enough to run in WINPE, just launch a command-prompt, and see what the core-server's name resolves to (or try a trace route). You can also work with HOSTS files, which could make your life a lot easier, potentially here?

Though both things require you to update the relevant boot-image file(s) and update the PXE-proxies.

Networking issues are pretty common in OSD - you get to fight with anything from bad NIC-drivers (again, this varies somewhat depending on whether you're facing DOS, WinPE or Linux) to just "networking" issues such as DNS-servers and connecting to shares.

One important thing is to also make sure that the Core and any (!) server directly involved in OSD (that is - hosting the images, etc.) be configured correctly. For this, make sure the following local policies are set accordinlgy (on the relevant servers):

The following is from the LANDesk Deployment Guide "LDMSDeploy.pdf" - which you can find on the product CD. I'm listing the page #-s for the English 8.8 version of the doc - it'll give you a good idea what heading to look for if you use other languages / other versions. For 8.8, this is on page 49 of 121.

""

Preparing a Windows 2003 Server for a Management Suite core server installation

When installing a Management Suite core server on Windows 2003 Server, you need to modify
            some Windows 2003 Server group policies. Refer to Microsoft Technical Support, the LANDesk
            Software support knowledge base, or the Microsoft MSDN documentation for specifics about the
            effects of these changes.

To launch the group policy editor
            1. Click Start | Run, and type gpedit.msc. Click OK.

2. Navigate to Local Computer Policy | Computer Configuration | Windows Settings |
            Security Settings | Local Policies | Security Options.

3. Make sure the following polices have these security settings:
            • Domain member: Digitally encrypt or sign secure channel data (always): Disabled.
            • Microsoft network client: Digitally sign communications (always): Disabled.
            • Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications (always): Disabled.
            • Network access: Let Everyone permissions apply to anonymous users: Enabled.
            • Network access: Restrict anonymous access to Named Pipes and Shares: Disabled.
            • Network security: Do not store LAN Manager hash value on next password change: Enabled.
            • Network security: LAN Manager authentication level: Send LM & NTLM responses.

""

This is necessary to be set correctly for servers to accept OSD'ing clients network communication attempts in the first place. Again - this applies to the Core and any other server you are trying to access directly.

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 3. Re: Image Capture with OSD
              Rookie

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the reply, basically I think its option B where it fails. The task runs pc reboots and loads into the landesk capture image task. Command prompt opens and it has obtained a IP address. It then fails when trying to resolve the core server name.

I did some trouble shooting by using the go button and opening up another console window. I run IP Config and the IP settings are exactly the same as my own pc but I cannot ping the core server by name on the capture image pc for some reason. Though I can by IP so I am thinking it is DNS.

Do I have to inject a local host file into the image then??

• 4. Re: Image Capture with OSD
                Employee

A hosts file is going to be the easiest workaround...

Also - hopefully Paul will forgive me for clarifying following: relaxing security settings as described in the extract from the manual quoted above is not needed if you are using WinPE.

• 5. Re: Image Capture with OSD
                  Rookie

Hi Jan,

Okay this is pretty much a learning process what I am doing here so I am following a document from the community and these are the steps I have to follow I believe.

How to add a hosts file to the WinPE image:
                  1. Before making any changes to the LDVPE1.img, always back it up. Make a copy of LDVPE1.img called LDVPE1.img.original.
                  2. Create a hosts file using a text editor. Make sure it is named hosts with no file extension. A sample two line hosts is demonstrated below.
                  192.168.0.1 CoreServer CoreServer.Domain.com
                  192.168.0.1 ImageServer ImageServer.Domain.com
                  3. Copy the hosts file to the ManagementSuite\LANDesk\Vboot directory on the Core Server.
                  4. On the Core Server, open a command prompt.
                  5. In the command prompt, change to the ManagementSuite\LANDesk\VBoot directory. cd C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\LANDesk\VBoot
                  6. From the Vboot directory type the following command to copy the hosts file into the LDVPE1.img. copyfile.exe ldvpe1.img hosts i386\system32\drivers\etc\hosts  I got as far as this and then didnt quite understand what it wanted me to do next
                  7. Drag the created hosts file into this folder inside WinImage. - is winimage already on the coreserver for me to do this?
                  8. When prompted to inject the file, click Yes.
                  9. Save the modified LDVPE1.img file and close WinImage.

Sorry I will get there eventually!!

• 6. Re: Image Capture with OSD
                    Employee

I'm not sure where you picked up these instructions. They appear to be a variant of an original recipe published here.

The original recipe tells you to use a command line tool called copyfile. This is a standard LANDesk tool. If you've done the copyfile right, then you're done (except you still need to redeploy the PXE Reps).

Steps 7-9 are not what you do after step 6 - rather, it's an alternative way of doing what you have done already in step 6. Winimage is a 3rd party tool (www.winimage.com). You don't need it because you have already inserted the hosts file with the copyfile tool. Still, you'll feel a lot more confident that you've done things right if you use winimage and you can see your hosts file sitting there.

• 7. Re: Image Capture with OSD
                      Rookie

Hi Jan,

Okay I have reinjected the host file entries into filename ldvpe1.img. PXE Reps have been redeployed.

Task has then been rerun on the target pc.

It reboots pc and again it is still failing to resolve  the name of the core sver. I have even checked in winImage software and the host entry is there as per below.

172.22.16.34 coreserver ldnlandesk01.mceadom1.local
                      172.22.16.34 imageserver ldnlandesk01.mceadom1.local

But on the pc running the task it gets as far as Networking IP Address then it displays  two Ip addresses 172.22.26.136 and then also 127.0.0.1

It seems to be trying to resolve the DNS name of the core server through itself rather than the DNS server? My network guy has checked and all DNS is configured correctly so I am not sure what is causing this...

• 8. Re: Image Capture with OSD
                        Employee

There is nothing mysterious about how name resolution works in WinPE. It works exactly the same as WinXP and Win2K3 (in fact, it is is Win2K3). That message that you are seeing with the two ip addresses is entirely normal - no reason to suspect somebody is not using DNS right. Here's what I see at the same point:

IP addresses: 192.168.10.144, 127.0.0.1

resolving core server name (CORE88A)... success

If you have a correct hosts file and the name still can't be resolved, then I would question your assertion that you have a valid hosts file. Can you see it? Open a command prompt under WinPE (click green "go" button and select "new console"), go to \i386\system32\drivers\etc and see if your hosts file is really there.

• 9. Re: Image Capture with OSD
                          Rookie

Hi Jan,

Okay now I am confused!! I have opened a command console and opened up the host file in notepad but there is nothing showing?? However if I open the image file in WinIMAGE I can clearly see the host file and when I extract it and open the file it is showing the correct entries??!!

I have redeployed PXE Representatives since making changes to the hosts files... How can i check these reps to make sure the updated image has been copied..?

• 10. Re: Image Capture with OSD
                            Rookie

Jan,

I have done some more testing on my environment. I ammended the pxe rep services and then redeployed just to make sure the changes are reaching the target reps and I can confirm they are as I was able to see the changes on a pxe rep by opening  pxeconfig.exe and I had just changed the global boot server menu name as a test.

I was also able to open the winpe image on a pxe rep and using winimage I was able to extract the host file and it has the host entries present that were injected into ldv1pe on the core server..

Therefore I think the only thing I can test is to put the target pc on the same VLAN as the core server to see if something is being blocked. Unless you have any suggestions??

Regards

Ian

• 11. Re: Image Capture with OSD
                              Employee

Look for a sane explanation of why your client machine isn't getting that hosts file. If you are sure that the peboot.img on the PXE rep has the right file in the right place, but you can't see that file from the WinPE command prompt, then I'm sure there must be some innocent explanation, such as the client is not getting the image that you think from the place that you think. Normal laws of nature apply.